Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-02-2011, 12:36 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Automatic Feeders

Does anyone have any recommendations on automatic feeders? I have 2, 5 gallon tanks (with one betta each). I'm going away for about 10 days and would like to ensure they are fed.

munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:43 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hi, welcome to AA! Is there anyone else that can feed them for you that is reliable? Automatic feeders do fail sometimes and may dump the whole load of food into the tank which would be more serious than having a person that forgets and skips a day or two which is still perfectly fine, can always call and remind them as well. Hope this helps.

Any questions? Feel free to PM me.
Hitchhikers on live rock? http://www.xtalworld.com/Aquarium/hitchfaq.htm
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 01:34 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
While I haven't ever used them, I can't really recommend them... I think you're talking about the weekend feeders...? If you look at the nutritional content on those things, they're mostly filler. They're basically the potato chip of the fish snacks: fills your belly but little to no nutritional content. If I'm mistaken, then don't bother with this paragraph.

I agree with thominil. If possible, try to find someone to do it for you. Letting your fish go a couple days between feedings isn't going to kill them and will help keep down on waste during a time where you can't properly do a PWC.
CoyoteWildfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:10 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, not to be different from those who have already posted but I do have an auto feeder and it has worked very well for me several times as I do not have anyone who can feed my fish (and turtles more recently while my tank is down).

Granted, this is ONLY for dry food. You can not use wet or anything that will spoil.

I use a: Fish Mate F14 Aquarium Fish Feeder; it requires a single AA battery to run. It can be a pain to fill up though!
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com