Automatic fish feeder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThangaMean

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can someone suggest a good feeder?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I am among the many fishkeepers who don't trust automatic feeders, although I have used them. What do you need an automatic feeder for?

If you give your fish a large meal before you leave they will be fine for a few days. Some people do this for up to a week even.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

If you give your fish a large meal before you leave they will be fine for a few days. Some people do this for up to a week even.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

In well established tanks you can go longer than that. I've left tanks for as long as two weeks. But going away isn't the only reason to use an automatic feeder, so I had to ask.

Does this apply to all kinds of fish? I've Orandas. I believe the stomach/intestine anatomy is different from other fish!!!

How long will you be gone? And how big are the fish? The larger the fish, the longer it can go between meals.

For now 2 days, but I'm might be gone for 3 weeks later. Orandas are 3 - 31/2 inches in length.

How long will you be gone? And how big are the fish? The larger the fish, the longer it can go between meals.

Lol in 8 months the longest I've gone without feeding is 1 day.

Knowing how long really will help.

And if it is an extended amount of time do a water change the day you leave.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Lol in 8 months the longest I've gone without feeding is 1 day.

Knowing how long really will help.

And if it is an extended amount of time do a water change the day you leave.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

In the early days when I wasn't such a good fishkeeper, and nearly quit the hobby, I had fish that went 4 months without being fed. I'm both proud and ashamed to admit that. (And I do not recommend trying it)

I was away last weekend. When I came back last night, one of the fish was literally starving and jus sitting at the bottom. Once I fed it took about an hour for it to become active again.

I was away last weekend. When I came back last night, one of the fish was literally starving and jus sitting at the bottom. Once I fed it took about an hour for it to become active again.

Are you positive it wasn't just tired/resting? I've never lost a single fish from leaving them for less than a week, let alone a weekend. It could also be a parasite problem or something....

Are you positive it wasn't just tired/resting? I've never lost a single fish from leaving them for less than a week, let alone a weekend. It could also be a parasite problem or something....

This is likely the issue. My JD along with many other of my fish "rest" on the bottom of the tank when the lights are off.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Yup that might be true. I've a connected tanks . the one in the onlit one was sitting at the bottom.

Yup that might be true. I've a connected tanks . the one in the onlit one was sitting at the bottom.

Then it probably was just "sleeping", and took a little time to wake up. That's my guess, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom