Automatic Fish Feeder Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Upstate TBarbs

Aquarium Advice Activist
Going away for a week in a couple months, and I need to find something to feed my fish.

My tank is a 54 gallon corner unit and I have the following fish:
18 Tiger Barbs
5 Panda Corydoras
6 Otocinclus

Current foods that I am feeding:
Tropical fish flakes
Bug Bites granules
Algae wafers
Frozen blood worms (Not possible for vacation without pet sitter)
Sliced cucumber (Not possible for vacation without pet sitter)

Getting a pet sitter may be difficult, as I am not a trusting kind of person.

Not sure that I like the idea of those slow release feeders like the pyramids or gel flake patties, especially on closer inspection when you read where they say something like "For 3 - 7 fish".

I was thinking of something like this so I can feed a mix of the flakes, wafers, and granuals over the 7 days I will be gone.
Ani Mate Automatic Aquarium Fish Feeder

I'm open to suggestions, but I will have to order something by New Years.

Hello Up...

Auto feeders are unreliable. You don't need them if you're only going to be gone a week or two. Here's what I do: A couple of weeks before leaving, I start feeding the fish a little more and more often. A day before I leave, I stop feeding and do a larger than normal water change. The fish live off their fat store and I come home to a clean tank. I just resume my regular tank routine.

B

Hello Up...

Auto feeders are unreliable. You don't need them if you're only going to be gone a week or two. Here's what I do: A couple of weeks before leaving, I start feeding the fish a little more and more often. A day before I leave, I stop feeding and do a larger than normal water change. The fish live off their fat store and I come home to a clean tank. I just resume my regular tank routine.

B

I second that. I think one of the greatest myths in the aquarium hobby is that fish NEED fed every day. My tanks are fed every other day with the occasional small snack between if I get around to it. I think often we do more harm that good trying to keep our fish "well fed". In most of our fishes natural environment, its not uncommon to either eat a few tiny meals throughout the day or even not find much to eat most days. This is especially true for predators who are actually better off being fed pretty good sized meals 2-3 times a week with nothing in-between.

In my experience, whenever I'm gone for a week or under, I don't have anyone feed the fish and I always come home to a happy tank. Hope this advice helps.

Count me as #3 not to feed on vaca under 9 days...I would risk 14 days beside with my fry...
Feeders are trouble as B said and the plan he uses is proven..
Feed heavy week or so before and do larger then normal water change before you go..
Then enjoy the trip and worry about nothing going wrong...

So many fish pet sitter / family helping horror stories, along with the auto feeder horror stories as well. Be hungry little fish. Common sense of course like with fry or special fish/critter needs.

Back
Top Bottom