Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-05-2005, 12:15 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Your overflow need to have a stand pipe or something to keep water at a certain level to not lose the siphon on the U tube
Good point. I forgot about that, since mine has two compartments, one of which acts as a standpipe.

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 02:55 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

thanks ellisz, and everyone, all perfect solutions...i knew there had to be something simple because if it was like this on all wet/drys no one would have them if they overflow all the time! thanks guys

Old 04-13-2005, 02:31 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to pearsont74 Send a message via Yahoo to pearsont74
i know this is a older topic but those with the check values in the return, do they not work right? I plan to do the drilling of holes to break the siphon but I'd also want to get a check value too....unless they dont work
Old 04-13-2005, 03:47 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorfreak
You can get a PVC backflow preventor. Just a couple bucks and it only lets water travel in one direction. That's what I have.
ive argued this before. you cannot use this with the overflow. it will not work. this type of valve allows water to flow one way and not the other. an overflowalways flows one way DOWN. if you are using this type of valve on an overflow you are in for a disaster.

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
douggiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 04:16 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I guess I wasn't clear about the location of the check valve. I have it on the return (pump -> display tank) which is always going up unless powered off.

Having said that, I also have the holes drilled in the return just below the display tank's water level should the check valve fail. I don't rely on it alone.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:21 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to pearsont74 Send a message via Yahoo to pearsont74
yeah, thats where im talkin about having it too...the return. My only thoughts are, after looking at them is it requires press to open the spring loaded value (which I doubt is stainless and will rust quickly unless you buy it from somewhere that can confirm its stainless) Im just curious if this will require a bigger pump to get the return you need. Oh, and they arent that cheap, check values at HD are $7 for a 3/4' and up....
Old 04-13-2005, 04:30 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The loss of water flow is something I've wondered about. I never did any kind of test to quantify any loss of flow. I should probably take it out and inspect it at some point to see if it's corroding.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:14 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearsont74
yeah, thats where im talkin about having it too...the return. My only thoughts are, after looking at them is it requires press to open the spring loaded value (which I doubt is stainless and will rust quickly unless you buy it from somewhere that can confirm its stainless) Im just curious if this will require a bigger pump to get the return you need. Oh, and they arent that cheap, check values at HD are $7 for a 3/4' and up....
i wouldnt use an hd valve use one specific for the hobby it will not cause a drastic loss of flow . but yes it is expensive and will clog but not rust.

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:18 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

someone needs to make a valve that goes on the hang on prefilter that will close with battery backup when the main power is cut off...this will allow water to stay in the chamber so that when power comes back on and the main gate opens then the siphon is uninterupted...only held while the power is out...this will also keep the pump from burning out
Old 04-14-2005, 10:06 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbeef61
someone needs to make a valve that goes on the hang on prefilter that will close with battery backup when the main power is cut off...this will allow water to stay in the chamber so that when power comes back on and the main gate opens then the siphon is uninterupted...only held while the power is out...this will also keep the pump from burning out
couldnt you use a small pump that comes on to create the siphon for you.

i you drilled a small hole at the top of the siphon and connected a pump that returned back to the main tank. then when the power went off the siphon would break but when the power came back on the small pump would come on recreating the siphon.

Peppermint Shrimp:

Tags
val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com