Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-04-2005, 10:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

automatic shutoff valve?

does anyone know if there is such a thing as a shut off valve for gravity flow wet/dry filters that shuts closed is the power goes out? i have a 90 gal and 29 ref and if the power goes out i lose like 20 gal on the floor? im sure there is a solution for this because that is a major flaw when i am renting. salt water and carpets dont mix lol thanks

Old 04-04-2005, 10:22 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Your sump should not be that full. It needs to have room enough for the water to siphon back down or you need a better siphon break at the tank.

Old 04-04-2005, 10:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You can get a PVC backflow preventor. Just a couple bucks and it only lets water travel in one direction. That's what I have.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:29 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Check valves can and will fail. If it is set up right you should not need them. They are good insurance but I would not depend on one.

IMO
Old 04-05-2005, 02:30 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Jonathan G.
i have the U tube overflow and never have a problem with the back flow and good thing is when you start your pump back up the syphon system in it is still set up. also make sure your return spout has a diffusor built in it to help with the back flow from your return spout. if yours doesnt you can always drill a hole in it if you know where to put it.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:33 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

no i dont have a back flow preventor on my return line...where should i drill the hole then to prevent backflow?
Old 04-05-2005, 03:35 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

im talking about if my power goes out... my tank drains into my sump until the water level is below prefilter box and the siphon goes out...and that is like 20 gallons...my sump its big enough to hold all that so eventually it will go on the floor.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:34 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
Your prefilter box needs to be at a height that will not allow water in it when your sump is full. I think the hole Johnathan was talking about was drilling a hole at the bottom of your U tube to break the suction at a higher level of water in your siphon box.
32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 09:46 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The solution is quite simple: drill two small holes in your return right at (or JUST below) the water line. When water tries to backflow down the return, the holes allow air in, thus breaking the siphon.

Drilling two holes limits the risk of blockage when the inevitable snail blocks one.

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 10:15 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with Midiman. You need a siphon break on the return pipe at the tank. Drill a hole or two right at or below the full tank water level. Water will flow out the hole when the pump is running but it is at the water surface so you waon't see or hear it. When water drops below the hole, it will break the siphon so that you don't have that much draining back into the sump.

This will probably help keep the water level in the HOB overflow higher thus keeping your siphon on the U tube. You don't want to lose that siphon on the U tube. That is bad news which you already know.

When power goes out, water will drain from 2 places, the overflow and the return line. Your overflow need to have a stand pipe or something to keep water at a certain level to not lose the siphon on the U tube. The hole on the return line will stop the back flow from the return line.

Should be fixable

Good Luck.

Tags
val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com