Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-05-2012, 04:05 PM   #11
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Yes, a float valve is basically a big floating piece of plastic that when it floats to a certain height, uses a lever to close a door on the output line. To get the waste line to close one has to use an auto shutoff valve that detects the pressure buildup in the clean line and in turn shuts off the waste line... But the supply line remains on. I get about 65 psi input pressure as well.

fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:19 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, I currently have a float valve connected to a 3g reservoir that I fill up with a pitcher when it's empty. I didn't know it could handle that kind of pressure.

When I get the two containers idea going, I'll instead put a float switch in there that powers a pump to pump water from the container into the sump for ATO-ing.

It wouldn't be too pricey to go ahead and order now, but to be safe I'll wait until after I file my taxes (darn tax time!). I need time to get it straight in my head first.

So I wouldn't need a solenoid on the waste water line - just an auto shutoff valve?

scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:59 PM   #13
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Correct. They sell them on brs and have some install videos too.
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:39 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Now for the easy part.. maybe.
I want to stick a mag 1.9 I have down in my tank and plumb it out and hook it up to the bathtub drain line.

Pump.. check
pvc.. check

Just wondering the best way to conceal the pump? If I put the pvc on the right side of the tank it won't be very noticeable. So, maybe behind the rocks?

I would like to do it out of the sump but I do 20g water changes and my sump holds 18g.
scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:11 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jlsardina
Just out of curiosity. Why not pump your drain pump permanently in your sump?

Step one- turn off return pump and let excess water drain to sump.
Step two- turn on drain pump to take out desired water which can know where to stop by a float valve.

Step three- have float valve in tank and sump to regulate how much water is returned from fresh saltwater tub. Turn on this pump to bring in new water. Have float valve in saltwater tub to regulate how much ro water is put into tank.

Just my .02. Lol

Tags
water changes

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com