Background

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

illstate

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was in a dentist's office recently, and I noticed a black felt-like background material. It was inside of the aquarium. Can anyone tell me what this was, where to buy it, and is it safe?
Thanks, G

Welcome to AA!

I can't say I've seen that kind of background. I haven't seen any kind of background sheet that's intended to go in the tank either. It's too easy for fish to get trapped behind a background.

Welcome to AA!

I can't say I've seen that kind of background. I haven't seen any kind of background sheet that's intended to go in the tank either. It's too easy for fish to get trapped behind a background.
Thank you. I wondered how safe it would be, but it seemed to go around 3 sides. I'll have to find my way back there one day, and inquire

They have backgrounds that you can tape on the outside of the tank; you could get some felt and tape it on the outside intstead.

Welcome to AA :)

I have never heard of putting a background inside the aquarium. Are you sure it was not on the outside? Such material inside an aquarium would trap dirt and debris and become choked with algae in a short time. Someone could have made a mistake when setting up the tank. The best background for any tank is a collection of tall plants like swords or Giant Val or giant crypts. (I assume the tank you speak of is freshwater).

I have never heard of putting a background inside the aquarium. Are you sure it was not on the outside? Such material inside an aquarium would trap dirt and debris and become choked with algae in a short time. Someone could have made a mistake when setting up the tank. The best background for any tank is a collection of tall plants like swords or Giant Val or giant crypts. (I assume the tank you speak of is freshwater).
Yes I am quite sure it was inside. it looked like a felt type material
I will find out the next time I'm in the area

When I first set up my tank I had the background on the inside... :rolleyes: lol

There are in tank background. Usually these are made of resins, sealed concrete, or Styrofoam. This is a DIY version:
DIY - Aquarium Background

However, an in tank background is usu. smooth, owing to the sealing process with epoxy. I suspect the felt look is algae ....

Also, the in tank background is sealed to the glass with silicone, so there won't be any issues with fish getting trapped, etc. People have these to give a 3-D look to the back. You usu. see them in big tanks ....

Last edited:
There are in tank background. Usually these are made of resins, sealed concrete, or Styrofoam. This is a DIY version:
DIY - Aquarium Background

However, an in tank background is usu. smooth, owing to the sealing process with epoxy. I suspect the felt look is algae ....

Also, the in tank background is sealed to the glass with silicone, so there won't be any issues with fish getting trapped, etc. People have these to give a 3-D look to the back. You usu. see them in big tanks ....
I think you hit it on the head. Thanks

jsoong, that background is cool looking I must say....
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom