Backup Power

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ximat

Aquarium Advice Freak
I guess you don't relize what you need until you don't have it. My question is, what do you do for your backup power? What would you consider "essential" equipment to keep on a battery backup? Does anyone have any recomendations as to what APC BackUPS to use?

A UPS can be used to keep a ph and heater running for a while if you lose power when not at home. For longer outtages I keep a 400w power inverter handy. I don't use a UPS for my tank so I don't have any recommendations. It's one of those things you hope you never need.

I was thinking about a UPS to power 1 of my two Filters, both heaters and one powerhead. Shouldn't be too much current draw. Tonight we lost power for a couple hours, but that was because someone ran over a pole. Not a frequent thing, but i hate to be left in the dark, for lack of better words.

You will not power a heater for any great length of time off a UPS current draw is too much-Anne
you can run the filter tho

The heaters really draw that much power? Im know nothing about power so i don't know. I figured they didn't have too much draw.

yup they do remember they work by heating high resistence wire they are probably the most expensive thing to operate in your aquarium.-Anne

I have a 1800 genny ready to go at a moments notice along with a 5000 if needed. It scared the crap out of me to hink about power outages here in tornado alley, we have had two god storms in the last two days allready with a few tornadoes fairly close. I watched a transformer blow up down the road the other night and the houses across the street lost power for most of the night. Sceeeery,lol

I sure hate to rain on your parade, but..................
APC's Back-UPS line is designed for use with Computer-type loads only. They are not designed to be used with motor loads such as fish filters, air conditioning units, space heaters, vacuum cleaners or any other machinery.

One potential issue is the inrush current draw for a motor. It can easily overload a Back-Ups UPS model. Secondly, these models of UPSs output a Stepped-Approximated sine wave when on battery. This waveshape, while ideal for computer-type equipment, is not particularly compatible with most motor loads. The result may be that motor runs very slowly, erratically, or not at all when the UPS is on battery.

To protect this type of equipment, APC recommends first determining the appropriate size UPS for the motor load in question. Ensure that the Volt Amp rating of the UPS is sufficient to handle the start-up inrush current draw of the motor. Secondly, select a UPS which outputs a Pure Sine Wave when on battery, such as a Smart-UPS (minimum of a SU700), Matrix-UPS, or Symmetra Power Array.

This info gleaned from the APC website!

And mine was from expirence with eheim canister filter.''They are not designed to be used with motor loads such as fish filters, air conditioning units, space heaters, vacuum cleaners or any other machinery." Thats a legal disclamer,Just because it wasn't designed for a purpose doesn't mean it will not work.I did forget 1 important thing your filter needs to be self priming.Since it couldshut off and lose its prime before the battery takes over-Anne

So since you rained on my parade, any recomendations? Im not wanting to drop a couple grand on a generator though.

I have a convertor and a drop cord ready to plug into the cig lighgter of the car. I would like to get a generator, but dont have one at this time. I am not sure what kinda power I will get, but I am hoping to get a heater running, and maybe a ph. Heater def. though.

If your power does go out, cover your tank with a thick blanket or comforter to help with with heat loss, and churn the water often.

With all the lr I have I have no need for a filter. :wink: Another good reason to fill up your tank woth LR!! :p

I paid $50 for my 400w power inverter. It's good for us folks who haven't gotten scared enough to buy a real generator yet. It runs off the car lighter for up to 120w and can be connected to your car battery for up to 400w of power. I ran a few tests and it can handle 2 ph's and a 100w heater from the car lighter. I luckily haven't had a chance to use it yet, but assume one would need to start the car every so often so you don't wear down the car battery.

If you run a 400 watt power inverter at max load it will drain a fully charged normal sized car battery in lessthan an hour, been their, done that, lol You can actually buy some very cheap generaters from places like Northern. Grainger, Etc. I would like to have another inverter myself just to have since my last one was stolen.

The gas your car would use to stay running the entire time would be worth it. I would let the car run the whole time.... :wink:

I've heard of both the UPS and Inverter working.
You can also use a battery operated air pump. (about $10)
Copy and paste the link
http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/airpumps.php?product_ID=ap-hbat

The air moving will create water movement (although not alot) But should do in a pinch.
Wrap blankets around your tank to keep as much heat in a possible.

I just put my first fish in my tank so I haven't had this problem yet, But when it comes I'll be ready.(i hope :? )

I think I might give the inverter a try also sometime.

I looked on Home Depot's web page, they have a couple generators for arround 400-500. I might look into one of those.

Back
Top Bottom