Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-24-2005, 10:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Ximat
Backup Power

I guess you don't relize what you need until you don't have it. My question is, what do you do for your backup power? What would you consider "essential" equipment to keep on a battery backup? Does anyone have any recomendations as to what APC BackUPS to use?

Old 03-24-2005, 10:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A UPS can be used to keep a ph and heater running for a while if you lose power when not at home. For longer outtages I keep a 400w power inverter handy. I don't use a UPS for my tank so I don't have any recommendations. It's one of those things you hope you never need.

46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 11:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was thinking about a UPS to power 1 of my two Filters, both heaters and one powerhead. Shouldn't be too much current draw. Tonight we lost power for a couple hours, but that was because someone ran over a pole. Not a frequent thing, but i hate to be left in the dark, for lack of better words.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

You will not power a heater for any great length of time off a UPS current draw is too much-Anne
you can run the filter tho
Old 03-24-2005, 11:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

The heaters really draw that much power? Im know nothing about power so i don't know. I figured they didn't have too much draw.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:51 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

yup they do remember they work by heating high resistence wire they are probably the most expensive thing to operate in your aquarium.-Anne
Old 03-25-2005, 12:56 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have a 1800 genny ready to go at a moments notice along with a 5000 if needed. It scared the crap out of me to hink about power outages here in tornado alley, we have had two god storms in the last two days allready with a few tornadoes fairly close. I watched a transformer blow up down the road the other night and the houses across the street lost power for most of the night. Sceeeery,lol
Old 03-25-2005, 06:03 AM   #8
Smo
Aquarium Advice Regular

I sure hate to rain on your parade, but..................
APC's Back-UPS line is designed for use with Computer-type loads only. They are not designed to be used with motor loads such as fish filters, air conditioning units, space heaters, vacuum cleaners or any other machinery.

One potential issue is the inrush current draw for a motor. It can easily overload a Back-Ups UPS model. Secondly, these models of UPSs output a Stepped-Approximated sine wave when on battery. This waveshape, while ideal for computer-type equipment, is not particularly compatible with most motor loads. The result may be that motor runs very slowly, erratically, or not at all when the UPS is on battery.

To protect this type of equipment, APC recommends first determining the appropriate size UPS for the motor load in question. Ensure that the Volt Amp rating of the UPS is sufficient to handle the start-up inrush current draw of the motor. Secondly, select a UPS which outputs a Pure Sine Wave when on battery, such as a Smart-UPS (minimum of a SU700), Matrix-UPS, or Symmetra Power Array.

This info gleaned from the APC website!
29gal BB | 42+ lbs LR | 143watts PC | Asst. Leathers, Frogspawn, Hammer, XLG Open Brain, Zoanthids, Mushrooms, Diploastrea heliopora | Blue Mandarin | Atrosalarias Fuscus | Pair Captive Bred Ocellaris Clowns | Peppermint Shrimp | 6 Astrea's |
Smo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 06:47 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

And mine was from expirence with eheim canister filter.''They are not designed to be used with motor loads such as fish filters, air conditioning units, space heaters, vacuum cleaners or any other machinery." Thats a legal disclamer,Just because it wasn't designed for a purpose doesn't mean it will not work.I did forget 1 important thing your filter needs to be self priming.Since it couldshut off and lose its prime before the battery takes over-Anne
Old 03-25-2005, 08:11 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

So since you rained on my parade, any recomendations? Im not wanting to drop a couple grand on a generator though.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com