Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-09-2016, 07:33 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

From everything I read on the power supply they are the same. I tried doing that a little bit ago and no go on the white LEDs which I posted yesterday. I also found out that with a multimeter you can test the LEDs if you take them off the board to see if they work or not. Problem is taking each white LED off the board testing it and re-soldering the LED back on if it works. Otherwise I could get a whole new set of LEDs and just completely replace the whites without trying to find which ones work or not..

Shouldn't really be that hard just time consuming. A big issue is I don't own either a soldering iron or a multimeter.

Cost after buying LEDs, multimeter, soldering iron will be a good portion of just buying a new black box LED fixture to begin with....at least from the one source I looked at today.

For simplicity and money saving I am considering just buying white LEDs and the soldering iron. But I don't know which Kelvin rating LED I should buy. Any thoughts? My initial thought was this would be a great time to fill in the color spectrum with red/green/violet. Again any thoughts on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 02-10-2016, 04:56 AM   #12
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

The link below may help. You can try out diy LED builds for spectrum and loss by depth (for red light mainly). Are you doing a planted tank or reef?

Custom LED Strip - BML Custom

I went back and found the LED bulb pics on mine that had blown (front centre bulb in link). The bulbs were cracked or broken and they looked burnt.

Your setup looks similar to mine and I tried the same thing of swapping hardware around to try running it but the bulbs had gone. I found it would still work at a dimmer setting of 50% but above that, one set of lights would flicker.

I ditched it for a t5ho. It's a shame I'm not in the US as I could have posted the two other working box LED units I have that are not being used.

Old 02-10-2016, 01:24 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Bad day - Broken Light

Thank you for the link! That site looks like a good potential candidate if I decide to just get new fixtures. I messed around with some different options on the site and got some things I liked. I also like how they are apex compatible.

Also thanks for the picture of your LED panel. I'm gonna take a closer look with a magnifier and see if I can notice any signs of blow LEDs. This will save me a ton of money and time if I can find something.

Edit: I'm still doing my reef tank just trying to replace lighting because of the fixture breaking. I'm kinda curious what you guys think of supplementing my black box LED fixture with t5HO instead of another LED fixture?

Old 02-10-2016, 07:23 PM   #14
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Good news it helped

I can't really comment with reef tanks. Perhaps a separate thread if no luck here.

I had a reef light but was running the white light only for planted tank. I've picked up the Seneye Reef to get some relative par readings between LEDs and t5ho but having trouble getting the data from the meter connected to a computer.

Imo (with a pinch of salt) the LEDs were way more powerful. LEDs were running for 6hrs and the quad t5ho I have now runs for 8hrs.

I'm also unsure how t5 bulb decay with time is an issue. I'm hoping to record that as well.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:06 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Ok I think I'm really leaning toward buildmyled.com! They seem like great fixtures for a decent price.

I'm considering 2 either 12" or 18"
20000k Reef Spectrum - XB fixtures.

With an apex dimming cable

Sense my 5' long tank has this huge glass brace in the center I want to continue the split lighting fixtures because it's worked well before.

I'm really interested to hear your guys input on this before I make the purchase. I'm hoping that this will be enough to cover my tank and enable me to keep all my corals happy from sps to softies.

Because I had good success with the black box Chinese LEDs I'm hoping to find a suitable replacement with maybe more features (apex compatibility). This is about my price range right now so if this won't be sufficient then my back up plan is the galaxyhydro 165w wifi (about $300 for 2) or the marsaqua 165w unit ($180 for 2 and no real features)

Old 02-13-2016, 07:43 PM   #16
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I can't unfortunately comment much. BML I've only really heard good things about.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:53 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Well I finally have my light back! A LFS replaced all the white LEDs for me and even added 3 red. I'm happy with the repair so far and it was relatively cheap. Especially considering cost for a new set of lights

Old 02-25-2016, 05:40 AM   #18
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Gee, that's alright! Was it hard to find a shop that could do it (frankly jealous there!).
Old 02-25-2016, 08:13 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

It actually wasn't too bad...a shop I've said I didn't really care to go to before because it was dirty and the owner is hard to talk to fixed it. He did it pretty quickly actually I'm very happy with it. I guess it is true that you can't judge a book by its cover. I'll have to leave him a really good review in google maps so other people know he's good.

Tags
light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com