Bak Pak 2 micro bubbles???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supermarvin76

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am about to buy a CPR bak Pak 2. How ever, I have been reading some reviews about it I found on the net, and have heard some nasty sorties about micro bubbles. Anyone comment on this please????
Thanks

I currently have a CPR Bak Pak 2 on a 29 gallon...I have had no issue with microbubbles. None at all. HTH

Lots of skimmers give off bubble when they are new. It also increases with different supplements.

I think that the majority of users are very happy with this skimmer.

I have the CPR bak-pak 2R, modified to use a more powerful MaxiJet 1200 (which I highly recommend everyone does). It has a higher gph and more bubble production than the stock Rio 600...but after 2 days of break in, no micro-bubbles in the tank.

The less extra gunk in the tank, the less likely you'll have micro-bubbles. They do make a cheap bubble trap if you can't get rid of the micros.

I have had the BakPak 2 with Rio 600 for over 2 years now. Interestingly enough CPR says the Rio skims better than the Maxijet 1200 :? . I would still like to try a Maxijet 1200 to see for myself.
I have found the BakPak will release microbubbles into the tank when the air inlet tube going into the powerhead builds up salt creep. When this happens it seems to push more water through the skimmer and push the bubbles into the tank. This past weekend I took a 1/8" drill bit and opened up the restrictions in the elbows connected to the powerhead to help eliminate build-up. We'll see how this works. So far so good :D

HTH
Stephen

I looked into the airstone mod for my BakPak. After doing some testing of my own, I found that by tweaking the air intake and collection cup I get WAY better results. I do not know why but mine has a RIO 800 on it about 2 - 3 yrs old. I keep her clean and it skims like new. The bubbles only seem to be a problem for me if something needs cleaning. As stated already, during break in there are typically bubbles but they go away. I don't know of any skimmer that you can pull out of the shrink wrap, plug it in and walk away. They all to my knowledge require 'tweaking'.

GL!

I just today bought the bak pak 2R. http://www.cpraquatic.com/products/bakpak2r.html It has only been up for a few hours. Anyone interested on how it works let me know and I will try to keep you informed with the progress of it. Right now just for ease I have it hanging on the back of my display, but when I have time I think that I am going to put some of my own mods on it and hang it on my sump.

I finally did the Maxi-Jet 1200 conversion from the Rio 600 in my BakPak II. It has been 3 days...and I have had more micro bubbles in the tank than I have ever had!

I was wondering....

Now that I can control the Air Intake...how do most people have it set up???

Do you have the Air Intake open a little...midway...or wide open??

I also have the bubble trap and preskimmer on the CPR II.

Thanks!

WC

Only new skimmers should have severe microbubbles. The upgrade to the MJ 1200 (as whitecloud noticed) really almost doubles bubble production, making a more effective skimmer, but increasing microbubble potential.

I've done this upgrade, and run my airflow less than midway open. Best thing is to close it, adn slowly open it up. Listen to the sound of the pump, and watch the amount of bubbles in the skimmer chamber, and keep opening the airflow until you get a nice milky chamber, without making the motor sound too stressed. Too much air will slow the motor, so you basically find a threshhold of airflow.
I think mine's open about far enough to stick my thumbnail in the air valve/knob..probably 1 to 1.5 total turns on it.

I don't have the bubble trap...and never tried to see if the pre-skimmer would fit over the maxi-jet.

Malkore,

As usual...you come through for me again! Your mention of "Milkly Bubbles" did it. I was only getting less than 1/2 the bubbles that I was getting with the Rio 600...even with the air adjustment wide open.

...Well..it just so happens I do have the Pre-skimmer...and the Maxi-Jet 1200 DOES fit in it.....BUT...it is a closer fit with the Venturi addition...

...come to find out...I had the Air Intake crimped in the Preskimmer..and not much air was getting through. I fixed that little problem...turn the adjustment air control about 1 turn....

I now have more bubbles than I have ever seen...and I have skimmate filling the cup already!

Thanks again Malkore!

Malkore, I have been using a CPR bak pak for almost a year with the air valve open almost all the way. I wondered why my skimmer never seemed to fill the intake chamber completly with bubbles. Much less, it never seemed to produce much skimmate. I tried tthe valve adjustment you mentioned ( almost closed ) and WHALA! The chamber is now full with "milky" bubbles and much more skimmate being produced. Why does CPRUSA reccommend keeping the valve almost completely opened? Mine came with the MJ 1200.

I have had my Bak Pak 2 for a month now and continue to have micro bubble problems. How new is "new"?

Back
Top Bottom