Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-19-2005, 10:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Bak Pak 2 micro bubbles???

I am about to buy a CPR bak Pak 2. How ever, I have been reading some reviews about it I found on the net, and have heard some nasty sorties about micro bubbles. Anyone comment on this please????
Thanks

-60 lbs (3") of sand.
-2x65w power compact lights
-2x18w power compact in the refug.
-bak pak 2R
-3 LARGE feather dusters all differebt colors
-orange spotted goby
-fire fish
-12 or so hermits
-50-60 nassairus snails
-about 12 turno snails
-emrald crab
supermarvin76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 10:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am actually looking to get the CPR bak pak 2 reef ready. http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewIt...product=CR1113

-60 lbs (3") of sand.
-bak pak 2R
-orange spotted goby
-fire fish
-12 or so hermits
-50-60 nassairus snails
-about 12 turno snails
-emrald crab
Old 04-20-2005, 12:28 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I currently have a CPR Bak Pak 2 on a 29 gallon...I have had no issue with microbubbles. None at all. HTH
Old 04-20-2005, 02:22 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Lots of skimmers give off bubble when they are new. It also increases with different supplements.

I think that the majority of users are very happy with this skimmer.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have the CPR bak-pak 2R, modified to use a more powerful MaxiJet 1200 (which I highly recommend everyone does). It has a higher gph and more bubble production than the stock Rio 600...but after 2 days of break in, no micro-bubbles in the tank.

The less extra gunk in the tank, the less likely you'll have micro-bubbles. They do make a cheap bubble trap if you can't get rid of the micros.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:28 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have had the BakPak 2 with Rio 600 for over 2 years now. Interestingly enough CPR says the Rio skims better than the Maxijet 1200 . I would still like to try a Maxijet 1200 to see for myself.
I have found the BakPak will release microbubbles into the tank when the air inlet tube going into the powerhead builds up salt creep. When this happens it seems to push more water through the skimmer and push the bubbles into the tank. This past weekend I took a 1/8" drill bit and opened up the restrictions in the elbows connected to the powerhead to help eliminate build-up. We'll see how this works. So far so good

HTH
Stephen
Old 04-20-2005, 11:34 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I looked into the airstone mod for my BakPak. After doing some testing of my own, I found that by tweaking the air intake and collection cup I get WAY better results. I do not know why but mine has a RIO 800 on it about 2 - 3 yrs old. I keep her clean and it skims like new. The bubbles only seem to be a problem for me if something needs cleaning. As stated already, during break in there are typically bubbles but they go away. I don't know of any skimmer that you can pull out of the shrink wrap, plug it in and walk away. They all to my knowledge require 'tweaking'.

GL!
Old 04-22-2005, 10:27 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just today bought the bak pak 2R. http://www.cpraquatic.com/products/bakpak2r.html It has only been up for a few hours. Anyone interested on how it works let me know and I will try to keep you informed with the progress of it. Right now just for ease I have it hanging on the back of my display, but when I have time I think that I am going to put some of my own mods on it and hang it on my sump.
-60 lbs (3") of sand.
-bak pak 2R
-orange spotted goby
-fire fish
-12 or so hermits
-50-60 nassairus snails
-about 12 turno snails
-emrald crab
Old 09-02-2005, 03:00 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I finally did the Maxi-Jet 1200 conversion from the Rio 600 in my BakPak II. It has been 3 days...and I have had more micro bubbles in the tank than I have ever had!

I was wondering....

Now that I can control the Air Intake...how do most people have it set up???

Do you have the Air Intake open a little...midway...or wide open??

I also have the bubble trap and preskimmer on the CPR II.

Thanks!

WC

40 Gallon Breeder Salt Water: 4 inch DSB (2/3 Agaramax & 1/3 Sea Flor), Bak Pak 2R Skimmer w/ BBX, 2 x JBJ PHs, Coralife Lunar Aqualight (2x96w), 30lb Base Rock and 40lbs of Live Rock.
Inhabitants: Purple Firefish, Pygmy Angel, Lawmower Blenny, 2 Cleaner Shrimp, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, Pistol Shrimp(HH), 1 Emerald Crabs, 3 Porcelin Crabs(HH), varying amounts and varieties of hermit and snails.

3 Gallon Eclipse:
1 Goldfish (won free at a fair...cost $50 in equipment)
WhiteCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 11:32 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Only new skimmers should have severe microbubbles. The upgrade to the MJ 1200 (as whitecloud noticed) really almost doubles bubble production, making a more effective skimmer, but increasing microbubble potential.

I've done this upgrade, and run my airflow less than midway open. Best thing is to close it, adn slowly open it up. Listen to the sound of the pump, and watch the amount of bubbles in the skimmer chamber, and keep opening the airflow until you get a nice milky chamber, without making the motor sound too stressed. Too much air will slow the motor, so you basically find a threshhold of airflow.
I think mine's open about far enough to stick my thumbnail in the air valve/knob..probably 1 to 1.5 total turns on it.

I don't have the bubble trap...and never tried to see if the pre-skimmer would fit over the maxi-jet.

Tags
bubble, bubbles, micro

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com