bak-pak cpr skimmer ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zach119

Aquarium Advice Activist
i was just wondering i have the cpr bak pak with the blue media in it i was just wondering if lr. would be better in there instead of that blue media?

is this a FO, FOWLR or full reef? If its a reef, you should remove the bio-bale as it will become a nitrate factory which could affect coral growth.

Replacing with Carbon

Do you think you could cut out the middle and replace it with carbon, would this help hurt the skimmers filtration?

carbon will interfere with the skimmer return, possibly causing it to overflow.
The bio-bale is just a wad of shredded plastic strips.

Nitrates will cause problems for coral growth by interfereing with calcium intake...phosphates also do this except it replaces the calcium, creating weak points in stony corals.

im going to go reef later on once ive had it set up i have 29 gal tank 40 pounds keys rock and have a coral life 130 watt pc light

Fish tolerate much higher nitrate levels than inverts.

Zach...that's what I did. Started as FOWLR, but with low reef lighting. Then added my refugium, upgraded the skimmer, and started adding corals. I'm about ready to add a BTA...probably later this week when the LFS gets one.

malkore. i will have no room for a refuge :( Also, i have about 6 watts per gallon so i will be able to play with some beginner corals for a lil bit before i get my bigge tank. hopefully like a 220 or soo i cant wait but its still about a year out.

didn't mean to imply a fuge was required...it's not. mine is very small, its the one by CPR, the Medium model. Only holds about 4gallons of water, but I have a little light over it and grow clumps of chaeto, which helps me maintain undetectable nitrates and phosphates.

Back
Top Bottom