Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-23-2005, 08:05 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
its silicone hose I think. Should be available at any good petshop. Its blue in color and soft.

connect the 3 feet of hose to the connection where you would normally connect the air intake tube that is supplied with the skimmer. Basically all your doing is creating a large baffler for the air to pass through before entering the skimmer.

Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 08:22 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to badfish
thanks for all your help, ill check my pet store this weekend

Filtration: 50lbs LR.com, 60lbs sand

Swimmers: 2 O. Clowns, Yellow Watchman, Firefish, Yellow Tang, Dottyback.

Clean-Up: Several snail & hermits, Skunk Cleaner, 2 Peps.

Corals: 2 zoo colonies, yellow polyps, star polyps
badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 08:45 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Home Depot and Lowes also have this hose/tubing. It's the "rigid" stuff, not the clear vinyl stuff.

At least I assume this is the type of hose/tube you are looking for. I use it for my auto top-off, RO/DI unit, etc.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:26 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

i just dont see how this actually makes it quieter, from what i understand i place this hose or tubing over the existing tube that is connected to the muffler. How does this make it quieter?

Old 03-23-2005, 09:56 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

you remove the existing air hose and replace it with the longer soft silicone hose.....

lemmie take a picture of what I am talking about for you. I'll be back.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Old 03-23-2005, 10:08 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks RocketSeason

Old 03-23-2005, 10:11 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, here we go:

You can see the tubing exiting the pre-skimmer box in the tank. I just drape it over the back of my tank and connect the end to an air valve which i can use to easily adjust the air flow. ( i usually just leave it full open.)

Don't ask me the science behind why it works. I assume it has something to do with the fact that the vibration of the air entering the tube and flowing to the pump is baffled along the length of the tubing. that, and the fact that the tubing is soft makes it less prone to vibration.

I was skeptical when I first tried it too, Someone on this forum sugested it and I was not so sure it would work. but I can tell you that it is 100 percent better than the way it came from the manufacture. I gurantee.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	skimmer-mod.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	1623  

Old 03-23-2005, 10:12 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

if you need a picture of the pump itself, I can do it. It will just be a bit more work cause that area is not very accessible cause its high up and back in a corner.

that and I have the skimmer box on it.

Old 03-23-2005, 10:30 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

thats not necessary, so it is just regualar tubing that you can get at a pet store, is it pre-packaged, do i just use the current connectors that are being used by the hose that is connected right now. Once again, thanks for all your help, i am gonna try my LFS tommorow.

- Jeff

Old 03-23-2005, 10:35 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

yup. its soft blue tubing available at any pet store. connect it in the regular method with the regular connections, sit back, and enjoy!

note the toothpick inserted into the sponge to keep it from being sucked into the skimmer box.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com