Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-22-2005, 08:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to badfish
Bakpak 2 question

Ok, so i just got my BakPak 2 with pre skimmer in and rio 600 pump, and to me it is pretty loud, it is def. louder then the two maxijet 1200's im running right now. The pump itself sounds louder then the others and the actual skimmer just sounds like constant pouring water in and out, should it be like this, people told me in the past that they are pretty quiet. I think i know the answer to this, but should the skimmer be constantly running, does it get quieter over time, any need for adjustments. There is also a lot of bubbles that are coming out of the outlet. Is it possible for collection cup to overflow?

All opinions will be appreciated,

TIA

- Jeff

Old 03-22-2005, 08:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Also, what does the Pre-Skimmer actual do, Its just a black box with a sponge at the top, is it just to prevent debris from going into skimmer?

Filtration: 50lbs LR.com, 60lbs sand

Swimmers: 2 O. Clowns, Yellow Watchman, Firefish, Yellow Tang, Dottyback.

Clean-Up: Several snail & hermits, Skunk Cleaner, 2 Peps.

Corals: 2 zoo colonies, yellow polyps, star polyps
badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 10:37 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

anyone?

Old 03-22-2005, 11:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have the Bakpak II with the Maxijet and it is still very loud. It's not really the pump itself but the air being mixed with the water. It has actually gotten louder since I've added the preskimmer because as the water evaporates close to the preskimmer inlet it makes a sucking sound. I top off after lights out. The preskimmer skims from the water surface where most of the organics build up. I removed the sponge from the prefilter as the skimmer produced less skimmate with it.
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 08:07 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

should i replace biobale with LR rubble?

Old 03-23-2005, 06:54 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

No, it will overflow the skimmer. I removed the biobale and put a heater in there.
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 07:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

do you recommend removing the biobale? Anyone else have any comments?

Old 03-23-2005, 07:32 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
The Pre-skimmer skims water off of the surface of your tank so that you are getting water with the most gunk in it (the gunk collects near the surface.) not only does it make your skimmer much more efficent, it also nicely hides that ugly powerhead.

Now, how to make it quiet. The problem is it will never be quite. Its a skimmer. They are loud by nature. However, try this.

Get about 3 feet of soft flexible airline hose. (that blue kind, not the clear) Connect the 3 feet of hose to your rio powerhead and that will work wonders to cut down the noise level of your skimmer. It worked for me.

It won't be completely silent, but, Eventually you won't even notice the hum.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 07:33 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
Also,

I would remove the biobale. I have a Bak Pak 2R which is designed for people who do not desire that kinda mechanical filtration. IMO the bio-bale will just cause more water quality problems then it will help.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 07:55 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

"Get about 3 feet of soft flexible airline hose. (that blue kind, not the clear) Connect the 3 feet of hose to your rio powerhead and that will work wonders to cut down the noise level of your skimmer. It worked for me. "

Im not sure i know what you mean buy this, do you have any pics? can you explain it any more, where can i get this hose?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com