Bakpak 2 question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

badfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, so i just got my BakPak 2 with pre skimmer in and rio 600 pump, and to me it is pretty loud, it is def. louder then the two maxijet 1200's im running right now. The pump itself sounds louder then the others and the actual skimmer just sounds like constant pouring water in and out, should it be like this, people told me in the past that they are pretty quiet. I think i know the answer to this, but should the skimmer be constantly running, does it get quieter over time, any need for adjustments. There is also a lot of bubbles that are coming out of the outlet. Is it possible for collection cup to overflow?

All opinions will be appreciated,

TIA

- Jeff

Also, what does the Pre-Skimmer actual do, Its just a black box with a sponge at the top, is it just to prevent debris from going into skimmer?

I have the Bakpak II with the Maxijet and it is still very loud. It's not really the pump itself but the air being mixed with the water. It has actually gotten louder since I've added the preskimmer because as the water evaporates close to the preskimmer inlet it makes a sucking sound. I top off after lights out. The preskimmer skims from the water surface where most of the organics build up. I removed the sponge from the prefilter as the skimmer produced less skimmate with it.

The Pre-skimmer skims water off of the surface of your tank so that you are getting water with the most gunk in it (the gunk collects near the surface.) not only does it make your skimmer much more efficent, it also nicely hides that ugly powerhead.

Now, how to make it quiet. The problem is it will never be quite. Its a skimmer. They are loud by nature. However, try this.

Get about 3 feet of soft flexible airline hose. (that blue kind, not the clear) Connect the 3 feet of hose to your rio powerhead and that will work wonders to cut down the noise level of your skimmer. It worked for me.

It won't be completely silent, but, Eventually you won't even notice the hum.

Also,

I would remove the biobale. I have a Bak Pak 2R which is designed for people who do not desire that kinda mechanical filtration. IMO the bio-bale will just cause more water quality problems then it will help.

"Get about 3 feet of soft flexible airline hose. (that blue kind, not the clear) Connect the 3 feet of hose to your rio powerhead and that will work wonders to cut down the noise level of your skimmer. It worked for me. "

Im not sure i know what you mean buy this, do you have any pics? can you explain it any more, where can i get this hose?

its silicone hose I think. Should be available at any good petshop. Its blue in color and soft.

connect the 3 feet of hose to the connection where you would normally connect the air intake tube that is supplied with the skimmer. Basically all your doing is creating a large baffler for the air to pass through before entering the skimmer.

Home Depot and Lowes also have this hose/tubing. It's the "rigid" stuff, not the clear vinyl stuff.

At least I assume this is the type of hose/tube you are looking for. I use it for my auto top-off, RO/DI unit, etc.

i just dont see how this actually makes it quieter, from what i understand i place this hose or tubing over the existing tube that is connected to the muffler. How does this make it quieter?

you remove the existing air hose and replace it with the longer soft silicone hose.....

lemmie take a picture of what I am talking about for you. I'll be back.

Ok, here we go:

You can see the tubing exiting the pre-skimmer box in the tank. I just drape it over the back of my tank and connect the end to an air valve which i can use to easily adjust the air flow. ( i usually just leave it full open.)

Don't ask me the science behind why it works. I assume it has something to do with the fact that the vibration of the air entering the tube and flowing to the pump is baffled along the length of the tubing. that, and the fact that the tubing is soft makes it less prone to vibration.

I was skeptical when I first tried it too, Someone on this forum sugested it and I was not so sure it would work. but I can tell you that it is 100 percent better than the way it came from the manufacture. I gurantee. :wink:

Attachments

• skimmer-mod.jpg
    skimmer-mod.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 156
if you need a picture of the pump itself, I can do it. It will just be a bit more work cause that area is not very accessible cause its high up and back in a corner.

that and I have the skimmer box on it.

thats not necessary, so it is just regualar tubing that you can get at a pet store, is it pre-packaged, do i just use the current connectors that are being used by the hose that is connected right now. Once again, thanks for all your help, i am gonna try my LFS tommorow.

- Jeff

yup. its soft blue tubing available at any pet store. connect it in the regular method with the regular connections, sit back, and enjoy!

note the toothpick inserted into the sponge to keep it from being sucked into the skimmer box. :)

Back
Top Bottom