balasts and fixtures?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sir_dudeguy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
whats the difference between a balast and a fixture? are they the same? and do the light bulbs plug into a balast? i'm lost on how that all works.
i'm just asking because i'd like to get some lights that are about 175-200 watts for my 55 to grow some green star polyps or some other stuff like them, but i dont know what to look for as far as lighting, and i'm on a really limited amount of $.
thanks in advance
mike

The ballast controls the amount of power going to the bulbs. Think of it as a huge resistor (if the electricians will indulge that comparison). The fixture is the housing that holds all the equipment together.

Sorry but I have no suggestions for inexpensive lighting of that size other than checking ebay.

Hi sir_

I've started doing some research on those types of things too, as my aquariums need some serious lighting modifications.

So far, it seems like parts progress like this:
(1) plug that goes into wall outlet is connected to the ballast by some length of cord
(2) ballast is connected to the bulb socket by some other length of cord
-- this is assuming a "remote" ballast, as opposed to "non-remote" ballasts that are right next to the bulb assembly.
-- also, ballasts can either be magnetic or electronic (I think electronic is more efficient, but not sure)
(3) bulb socket is what the bulb is inserted into
-- the wattage of the bulb has to be compatible with the power provided by the ballast
(4) all of these items are collectively considered a "fixture"

I hope my explanation didn't seem too simplified, it's just that I find it easier to understand things when I start from the beginning parts (plug) to the final parts (bulb) - so that is how I explained it.
I'm confident that if I misspoke or omitted anything, then others will provide the appropriate info.

As far as prices...I'm not sure of anywhere to get that much wattage for less than $150.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom