Ball Valves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

qhrisnd

Aquarium Advice Regular
Does anyone know of a "normally open" electric (or magnetic) ball valve that when the power would turn off, the valve would snap back to a "closed" position?

Basically what I'm looking for is something to prevent overflow in case of a power outtage, on my return line from the water pump in my sump.

Do they make check valves that big?

qhrisnd said:
on my return line from the water pump in my sump.
Drill a small hole(s) just below the water line on the tank side of the return line. This will create a "syphon break" when the water line falls below the holes it will start sucking air and break the syphon preventing backflow.

Cheers
Steve

Steve:

We tried doing this, but it makes a really obnoxious noise, and doesn't stop the flow completely. It still trickles, because of the overflow box we have, and how high it sits in the water.

krap101 said:
shouldnt the hole be under the water most of the time?

They are under the water, when the tank is running, and the pumps are operational.

My concern is when the power goes out, or we shut off the pumps for maintanence, that the pump return line will still siphon back some, and slowly trickle back into the sump

I did what Steve recommended and it works perfectly. But, I drilled the hole slighty ABOVE the water line. The reason I did that is because I like to turn off my return pump when I feed my tank. I don't want food getting drained into the sump where it is not needed. The hole above the water line prevents much water at all from getting siphoned into the sump. That way I can keep my waterline as high as I like it. The hole that I drilled is very small so very little water comes out of it when the return pump is on, but my return pump is only 300 gph. I guess if you had a much more powerful return pump, more water might get squirted out of the hole and could get a little messy.

How would you put a hole in the return line from the pump? Wouldn't that squirt water all over everywhere on the wall or somethin?

Drill the hole on an angle so it projects downward into the tank.

Cheers
Steve

How would you put a hole in the return line from the pump? Wouldn't that squirt water all over everywhere on the wall or somethin?

Not at all. The hole is very small and is drilled on the plastic "u-tube" on the side facing the tank. My tank is top-less so a little water trickles right out into the tank. When I turn off my return pump, I get no back siphoning into the sump at all.

To ansure your question "Do they make them that big" Yes. I have 1 1/2 " lines and put see thru check valves in to stop back flow, also have holes just below the water line as a back up to a stuck check valve. Look at Aquatic Eco-Systems web site for the valves.

Back
Top Bottom