Ballast Burn Out!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
S

steve-s

Need some options for a new ballast. One of my CSL 2x96w PC electronic ballast blew today (after 6 yrs) and my options seem somewhat limited. Time is also a factor considering the animal life that depend on it.

<<This>> is a link to what I currently have but the local online says it will take six weeks to get.

<<This>> is what I am considering as it will only take 10 days to get but I am unfamiliar with the type.

Options? Electronics is not my strong point...

Cheers
Steve

I agree with logan. The Workhorses are great all around ballasts. I use them in all of our jewelry showcases in our store where we run T6's. They are cheap, lightweight, and don't get very hot.

They also run all kinds of stuff. Look what that Workhorse 7 runs. PC's, T4's, T5's, etc... All the way up to T12. Last ballast you will ever own as long as you don't go to MH.

BTW, you may be able to find it these at your local electrical supply/lighting store store. I would call around to see if they stock them so you can pick one up. It would be a lot faster than ordering it over the net and should be cheaper.

Biggen said:
BTW, you may be able to find it these at your local electrical supply/lighting store store. I would call around to see if they stock them so you can pick one up. It would be a lot faster than ordering it over the net and should be cheaper.
Thanks to both of you!!

I noticed the Fulham website said it was an "in-Fixture" ballast. The one I am currently using is an external ballast. Can this one be safely used as an external ballast? BTW, easy to wire?

Cheers
Steve

They are made to be put in a fixture or J-Box to make it look like a nice and clean install, but you don't have to put them in an enclosure. You could always hide it somewhere. Mine are hidden underneath my jewelry showcases.

As far as wiring goes, it has been so long since I did it, I really don't remember exactly how. I do remember that it wasn't hard. It should come with instructions on how to wire. It will probably be wired exactly like your old ballast is wired to your current light setup, so keep that hooked up so you know how the wires are connected.

Thanks again (y)

Will follow up later. So far still looking for a supplier. HD is a no go but I have found alternatives.

Cheers
Steve

AS far as wiring it is pretty easy... There is not much wioring to it for the Workhorse ballasts.. If you want a pic of mine Steve I can take a pic.. Since you are in BC I have no Idea where you can find them... But the wiring is pretty easy.. Its like black & white = power and red and yellow = lights.. How mine is setup they are on seperate ends so you dont confuse them.. However my ballasts are all workhorse 5's

HTH,
James

I was looking over the wiring diagrams on Fullham's site: http://www.fulham.com/wiring.html

They have 29 different wiring diagrams but only a few pertain to what you want to do. To me, diagram #1 is the easiest to wire, however, others will work (i.e. diagram 6).

I included #1 for easy reference. You would be wiring it according to the left side (compact) of the diagram.

I just saw that the ballast you have now has everything wired for you and you actually only plug the lamps into the "quick connect" ports on the ballast, correct? If this is so, you are going to have to cut off those plugs on your lamps so that you can connect that wire to the ballast.

Thanks guys, I was browsing the Fulham website earlier today and saw the wiring specs and it seems quite straight forward. I actually found that there are very few companies that actually stock the ballast locally and the one that might have it said they would have to call me back :roll:

I have a few more calls to make though (fingers crossed)

Cheers
Steve

Thanks James, I will call them tomorrow and see if that's a viable option.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom