Ballast problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

got bait?

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a CoralVue 250MH elec. ballast. In bench testing the wiring I discovered a problem. When I plug in the ballast, it fires up on the second time I plug it in. The first time I plug in nothing, then unplug and replug in and away we go. Is there some circuit in the ballast that is not being reset or something. I am going to be installing on tank this weekend and I would like to figure it out first. I will try hooking it up to a timer tonight and see what happens. Guess I could put four pins in the timer if need be, but that's kinda like adding Phosoguard to your tank :wink:

I can't help you with the wiring, but I've had a couple of ballasts that would fire the first time everytime with a timer, but not necessarily when I plugged it in. Try the timer and see, that could possibly solve the problem, but personally, I'd make them replace the ballast.

i'm no electrical genius but that sounds like a faulty ballast. It should fire right away. probably just the 1 in 1,000 that doesn't get made perfectly...that or damaged after it left the factory.

repsonse from CoralVue

For those with the same ballast problems. Below is the response from CoralVue to my problem. I will post the results of my changes this weekend.

can you tell me if you have the newer style silver ballast that has 2 built in fans in the ballast? If you have that ballast, make sure that you do not have any excess output cable from the ballast tied in a bundle. The ballast create an RF noise and when it is looped around itself and tied with a tie wrap it creates interference and the ballast will do starge things. If you have the older style brown ballast send it back and I will replace it for you with a new model.

sorry bad font choice. in previous message

can you tell me if you have the newer style silver ballast that has 2 built in fans in the ballast? If you have that ballast, make sure that you do not have any excess output cable from the ballast tied in a bundle. The ballast create an RF noise and when it is looped around itself and tied with a tie wrap it creates interference and the ballast will do starge things. If you have the older style brown ballast send it back and I will replace it for you with a new model.

The newer model with the fans. 250W MH elect. ignition. I do have 15ft. wall-ballast
and 12ft. ballast-bulb.

Good news and bad news.
Good news is I am getting a new ballast (I am said to have the older model) free of charge.
Bad news is I won't get a chance to test the long cable theory. I did straightened them out, but had no consistant affect on firing accuracy.

BTW: The customer service at CoralVue (Vue Technologies) has superb service.
Thanks Darin for the contact.

Back
Top Bottom