Ballasts - what on earth are they?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nøjo

Aquarium Advice Activist
I know that you get the noobest of questions here but I'm not really sure with a MH system what a ballast is. Is it something that comes with the whole system or is there one for each type of light (MH, cf, etc...)? If anyone can clear this up I'd really appreciate it.

its and electronic part that controlls the fireing and lighting of the bulb or bulbs.. MH ballasts are diffent then florecent but electronic florecent ballasts can fire right about any type of floresent tube so long as the needed wattage is = or less.. HTH
and picking out MH ballasts can be a pain if your building a system yourself..
If for some reason you want to build your own lighting system and need help selecting the correct ballasts just give me a PM or email Id be happy to help. :p

Ok that is starting to make a bit of sense now. I just ordered a MH system and it arrivedyesterday, but for the three outlet cords from the hood only one of them (for the cf) will fit in the ballast that came with it. So I'm assuming that there are two more that are arriving. Do MH systems usually have three ballasts?

they might have shipped the MH ballast by truck (each one can weigh up to 10 pounds each) there should be a cord for your led that will plug into the MH ballast (information from PM)..
lando.. this is the same type of system you ordered off aquatraders.. is the MH and PC seperate external ballasts with your kit??

You were right, the external ballast arrived a few days after the lighting fixture. So basically this was a crash course in how ballast systems work - I thought everything was just included in the hood.

The only problem I have is that none of the LED lights and one of the cf bulbs isn't working (sigh... :x ). Something probably shook loose during shipping, I'll have a better look at it later.

Thanks again for the help greenmaji.

Nøjo said:
The only problem I have is that none of the LED lights and one of the cf bulbs isn't working (sigh... :x ). Something probably shook loose during shipping, I'll have a better look at it later.

Thanks again for the help greenmaji.

Let us know how the inspection of the unit goes.. and if you can figure out where it lost its connections or if it just had some bad bulbs.. Contact the supplier this really isnt your problem, its a new fixture that you purchased so if you cant get it fixed.. they should fix or replace it for you.. good luck (y) and no problem :D

LED's don't run off a ballast either. They take such low voltage, that you have to ramp it down with an AC adapter.

I only said that because that is what jebo does accroding to the treads Ive read about them the chuck the AC transformer in the MH ballast housing.. silly designers.. :biglol:

Back
Top Bottom