Basement sink as FW ager/QT?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skydvr

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all - not sure where to post this, so I'll try here...

I'm planning on adding a 125g (built in-wall) FW when I finish my basement. I won't be done for quite a while, but I'm trying to learn what I can now and be as prepared as possible...

Anyway, I have no plumbing down there right now. I have access to the drain lines, etc, but no roughed in plumbing or anything. Since PWC's will be QUITE a PIA (let's see if the site adds an "instant definition" to *that* ;-) ) without access to a drain or water source, I'm looking into adding a utility sink when I do the finsihing.

Not sure if I'm going to have the room, but what I found is this:
http://www.homedepot.com
search for item 404959 - I can't figure out a direct link that works...

It's a dual-tub plastic sink. Each side holds "19g" (according to their specs).

My questions:
Is "thermoplastic" safe to use as water storage? I figure that I could age water in one side and drain the tank water into the other side.... Any obvious problems with that idea?

What should I *not* use in the sink if I want to use it as water storage?

Would it possibly work as a QT? Fill it - drop an active filter in it, hard plastic over the top and a light - good to go?

Any problems with this idea? I'm just in my planning stages, but it seems (to me, who knows nothing about any of this :) ) like this would be viable...

Thanks for any info/ideas/tips....

I'm sure that I'll ask again later, but if anyone has any resources about putting an aquarium in a wall, I'd be very grateful - I haven't found much of anything with my searches...

Thanks again...

Thermoplastic...whatever that is...should be fine to store water in. However, in a dual sink situation, I think it'd be WAY too easy to get chemical cleaners into the 'storage' side, which could have disasterous effects.
I would suggest a large trash can, 35 gallon size, purchased specifically for water storage, and never cleaned with anything but hot water.

That said, why are you storing water? I didn't see mention of an R/O unit. If you're 'aging' the chlorine out, you better check with your water company because most places use chloramine now because it doesn't out-gas from the water...thus your aged water would still be harmful to fish and plant life.

Easiest way to change the water in a big tank is fill the tank directly from the tap, and treat the entire tank with something like Prime by SeaChem. Chlorine and chloramine aren't instant-death to fish or plants, and Prime works very quickly. This is how I do all 50% water changes on my 75 gallon tank, and I have yet to see any ill effects.

Thanks for the response. I guess that I was under the impression that it's "preferrable" to mix the dechlorinator *prior* to adding. Plus, if there is no chlormine, then it would offer me the opportunity to outgas, rather than treat with chemicals... There are no plans for an R/O unit... :)

Plus, it seems a bit wasteful (to me) to treat for 125g when I'm only adding 20g (or whatever). I'm still lost on the reasoning behind the "treat the entire tank when adding directly from the tap".

So, maybe there is no need for the dual tub. All I need is a drain and a faucet - that will save me some room, at any rate. :)

Thanks again for the response....

You should treat the entire tank because as you fill, the new chlorinated water will disperse through the entire tank volume. You need to dose a full dose of Prime so it can treat all 125g of water.
Otherwise you can do what I do and use a big trash can, and then you only have to treat for the water being replaced. If you do use a trash can, you'll need a small submersible pump to get the water back into the tank...and make sure the pump has enough head clearance to reach the tank.

Yup the trash can is the cheapest and easiest way to age your water. For tubing you can buy large canister filter sizes tubing by the foot from the hardware store. Much cheaper there than from the LFS, and is the same tubing.

The only thing else I would add is, in a container as large as a trash can i.e. large water changes. I would stick a heater in there to prevent large temp fluctuations in the tank.

Basement Sink

I have exactly the same setup. 125g built into a basement wall.
I have a utility sink down there in a laundry room about 15 feet away.
It's only a single tub version but works wonderfully for water changes, cleaning filters, etc.
There is also a sump in there that the washer, stand up shower, and sink drain into.
I don't "age" water, so that's out of my area, and I have a seperate 29g
for QT, so that's covered too.
I change 50% of the 125 water every week. I just use a length of regular hose between the tank and the sump, start a siphon and let it go.
While it's draining, I scald the sink with hot water just in case (It's right next to the washer), Add conditioner, salt, etc. and fill with same temp. water. I bought a cheap 1000gph "pond" pump to put down in the sink for refilling, and when the tank is done draining, I simply take the hose end that was in the sump and attach to the pump, plug it in and watch it go.
Takes about three sink fulls and 15 min. to complete.
Best thing I ever did. NO MORE 40 pound 5 gal. bucket brigade to refill.

shannen said:
The only thing else I would add is, in a container as large as a trash can i.e. large water changes. I would stick a heater in there to prevent large temp fluctuations in the tank.

be careful not to let a heater come in contact with plastic.. goes without saying sometimes but.. better safe than sorry.. :D

Back
Top Bottom