Basic Power Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tlkng1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi All...

I originally had my Biocube set up in this one location attached only to a standard two plug outlet to which I had plugged in a surge protector. I had three tank lines plus two computer lines into this one powerstrip and everyhitng worked fine.

Now, I purchased a 5 plug GFCi outlet that simply plugs into the main outlet. I plugged in the surge protector to the computer in one plug (two cords to the computer) and the other two current tank lines (filter and lights) into two of the other GFCI outlets. It actually has one less plug then previously.

What is happening, however, is that anytime I wake up the computer or even touch the lightstrip on the tank, the GFCI trips. It isn't tripping the breaker, only the GFCI. There are no water leaks, dust etc.

As a test, I got fed up yesterday and took off the GFCI outlet, plugging everything back into the main outlet and everything is working fine..no power trips. I have the tank situated in such a way that unless there is a catastrophic burst, the outlet will stay dry but I would prefer a GFCI in there.

The main outlet otherwise works fine. Could the 5-outlet GFCI be bad?

Pic of the GFCI below:

Attachments

• GFCI.jpg
    GFCI.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 88
The GFCI is more sensitive to over drawing power to the circuit than the breaker in your box. It's actually doing it's job and telling you that you've reach the threshold for the circuit (generally 15 amps). You might want to find another outlet close by that's on another breaker.

Thanks...I should have tried that before. :) It just didn't make sense in my non-electrician type brain that it would keep tripping when there was actually one less cord plugged in.

Glad to help.

That's a great unit to have and whatever you move keep it tied to your tank equipment, so if there is a malfunction (heater most likely) the GFCI will do its job.

Back
Top Bottom