Battery Backup Pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have 2 battery backup air pumps. Haven't had to use them yet but I've tested them and they work well.

I can't tell you why that one is worth $59 while the ones I have cost $5 each. I'd find that out first.

Oh, that's why it costs so much more - it switches to battery if the power goes out. Mine are manual units that I have to plop in the tank if the power goes out.

Might be worth the additional cash depending on your situation. Personally, I don't want bubbles in my tank all the time.

I'm not sure, wishbone, but I think those computer battery-backup units are designed to last a pitiful few minutes on battery - essentially enough time to save your work and quit.

Don't quote me on that though.

Clown Monarch said:
I'm not sure, wishbone, but I think those computer battery-backup units are designed to last a pitiful few minutes on battery - essentially enough time to save your work and quit.

Don't quote me on that though.

Too late.. ;-) Actually they're designed to run for ~20 minutes at 300watts. They have different kinds, but most do 20min at rated wattage. You could also run more than just an air pump on it.

Most of the aquatic gear we run is far less than 300watts so you would most likely get even more time out of it. How much of an outage are you guys expecting?!?

Well, let's see. About 5-6 years ago I lost power for 5 days in the dead of winter. That was a bad one.

My electric company is really bad. It'll be a calm spring day, 70 degrees, not a cloud in the sky - suddenly the power goes out for 5 hours. I wish I were exaggerating but I'm not.

I think they've improved though. I've had only 1 outage in the past 10 months and it only lasted about 30 seconds - course it came at 3am...

Actually I need to correct myself, the ones I own last that long, but it appears the cheaper ones are more of an average of 10-15 minutes. Although $60 will get you one that will last 20min+

wow.. days?!? that's crazy. Well yeah, then that won't work for you. =)

Yes, my electric company is right at the top of the list in several areas; they have the most undependable electric service in the country AND the highest electric rates.

But who am I to say that a meter-reader shouldn't be paid $38 an hour...

The air pump I linked to in my post cost $10. It automatically kicks in when the power goes out. You just need to make sure to have some extra batteries on hand in case of extended outage. Cheap insurance if you ask me. I'd love to have a generator but there is no way I could justify the cost of it. I guess if I had a huge reef tank I might feel differently.

Back
Top Bottom