Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-30-2011, 11:22 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Battery-powered Filter?

Do these exist? I Googled it and basically there are only air pumps and they only last a few days.

Do filters really use that much energy? Even one suited for a 5g? I've found some sites for fishermen on how to make them to put with bait fish to help them stay alive longer. But, those are only meant to last a few days too.

I was thinking maybe a small one for like a betta tank. It would be nice to not have these black cords everywhere. But, I guess this was a dumb idea in the first place.

Just curious if anyone has any ideas on whether this has a point to look into further or if I'm going to have to change out batteries twice a week.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:32 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
The issue is the pump needed to move the water and generate flow would drain the battery life on standard batteries pretty quick. At most your looking at is a few days.

An air pump is such a simple motor and even that will only last a few days so to have a battery operated filter large enough and last long enough to do any good just isn't practical ... IMO. Even if they were rechargeable, the batteries would probably be as large as the filter.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Interesting. Thank you. I didn't realise how much they used.

So, no to attempting my own.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrazyFishLady
Interesting. Thank you. I didn't realise how much they used.

So, no to attempting my own.
for emergency use in the event of a power outage you could connect a power inverter to a car battery but this would not be practical as a full time source of electricity
Old 11-30-2011, 08:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yea, I read about that too. It made me thankful I have never had to deal with a power outage. Even though my fish could survive easily a few days without a filter.

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com