Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-12-2014, 03:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Beamswork LED Lighting?

I've never used LED lighting in a tank before and I'm looking to switch to it. My tank is a 60 gallon freshwater (48" x 24 " x 12"). I currently don't have plants but I soon wish to change that. I know very little about tank lighting, so I need some advice. I came across a Beamswork LED light that was on sale on Aquatraders: LED Aquarium Lighting Freshwater Bright

Can anyone give me any information about this light? Would it work for a planted tank with basic beginners plants, such as Water Wisteria, Java Fern or Amazon Swords? Will the light be bright enough and penetrate all the way through? I realize it's not a "name brand" such as Marineland but it's also a lot less expensive.

Thanks for your opinions!

Old 10-15-2014, 03:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

They have several lights. That on is for marine tanks. They have a version with 1 watt diodes which would work well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 10-15-2014, 04:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

got a beamsworks with my freshwater, just in the process of setting up the tank, but it looks like it will do the job fine (white and blue) http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...p;d=1413376062.

Make sure you get the version that you can plug the Beamsworks timer module into it.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

How do you know if the light will work with the timer?
Old 10-16-2014, 01:50 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you get the one without a timer you could just plug a 5 dollar timer to it

Old 10-16-2014, 08:57 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobykourtney View Post
If you get the one without a timer you could just plug a 5 dollar timer to it

This is true, but the beamsworks LED units usually come with whites and blues. If you get a model the is compatable with the timer, you will be able to set on/off times for each color.
So you could run all white or white/blue during the day then just blue for moonlight in the evening. Where as if you have just a timer on the whole thing its an all or nothing kind of deal and you would have to manually switch from color to color on the unit if thats something that you wanted to do.

See the bottom pic on this amazon link and you will see on this model that one end has the power switch and cable and the other end just has a socket for the timer.

I think they are pretty good for the price point and i have read a lot of good things about them so far.

good luck with your choice though.

Tags
led, led lighting, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com