beats buying a chiller

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eric faatz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everybody i have been having problems with my tank tempweatures with this heat. So today while i was out shopping i found a nice little clip on fan for 10 bucks, so i bought it for my tank. so i am trying it out to see if it works.

It will help to some extent if you have a open top tank. It will cause more evaporation though. If you have a sump add one there as well.
Here is one I found at Wal-Mart for $6.00

Attachments

• Wal Mart Fan.jpg
    Wal Mart Fan.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 162
i have a glass top tank but i leave the lids open. i saw the same exact fan at walmart.

That's great. I had a terrible time this last week because my air conditioning failed. We floated ice in plastic bags. I think a fan would be much easier and the cooling would be better. Do you clip the fan to the top rim of the tank? Let me know.

Fans work great. Evaporation is a very effective method for cooling water. If you have 100g of water, for every 1 gal that evaporates, the water temp can/will drop aprox 9 degrees.

Thats a big change, good for you, is 80 the temp you are aiming for?
An idea, in my hood (aquarium not location), I have a fan that blows in and one that blows out to move the air across the entire length on the tank. I even went as far as to close off the back of the hood to improve the efficiency of the air flow. You could try another fan on the other end blowing in the same direction and see if that helps a bit more. Not sure this would work but for another $10 it might be worth trying. Besides, if it doesn't work you will have a backup fan...

Looking back a couple posts, you should just take those glass lids off. If you ever leave them closed at night, they can cause some big pH fluxes. Eggcrate can be used over the top to prevent carpet surfing.

with this weather i usually leave them open all the time. and mellowyellow i found my fan at biglots and it works great this morning ihad to turn it off, my temp was at 76

Back
Top Bottom