Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-09-2011, 11:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Bent vinyl tubing?

I was trying to figure out what this little tube I'm looking for is called.

I have a 24 gallon and the stock external pump doesn't put out as much water as I'd like. That being said, I am purchasing another pump.

Attached to the output on the stock pump is a 1.5' long piece of clear 1/2" semi rigid tubing (vinyl ID?) that is bent 90 degrees about one inch from the end to allow the water to reenter the tank. Somewhat like this:

_____
| ___ -->back into the tank
| |
| |
| |
| |
(pump)

I have no clue what it's called so I can't find a picture. If someone knows something else that would work well for this purpose in a very tight space (about 5x3x15 + the pump) please tell.

I could probably just use some silicone to attach an elbow to a straight piece of PVC, but I'd rather go with what I already have in the past.

+1 if you can help

I run electrical appliances underwater and enjoy injecting things with Kalk filled syringes.
Sarcothelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcothelia View Post
I was trying to figure out what this little tube I'm looking for is called.

I have a 24 gallon and the stock external pump doesn't put out as much water as I'd like. That being said, I am purchasing another pump.

Attached to the output on the stock pump is a 1.5' long piece of clear 1/2" semi rigid tubing (vinyl ID?) that is bent 90 degrees about one inch from the end to allow the water to reenter the tank. Somewhat like this:

_____
| ___ -->back into the tank
| |
| |
| |
| |
(pump)

I have no clue what it's called so I can't find a picture. If someone knows something else that would work well for this purpose in a very tight space (about 5x3x15 + the pump) please tell.

I could probably just use some silicone to attach an elbow to a straight piece of PVC, but I'd rather go with what I already have in the past.

+1 if you can help
It's called an "elbow".

I'd suggest using a flexible tube though, because water will flow easier in a 90 or 180 semi circle than hitting the elbow and then changing course.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:56 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

The problem of using a flexible piece of tubing is that you can't get a tight enough bend without flattening the tube, which defeats the purpose. Elbows have radii so the water will flow easily, and in the case of "sweep" elbows, a longer radii.
If you decide to go with PVC, silicone would be a poor choice for an adhesive. It would be better to use PVC cement.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you mean something like this Bill? Yep, that's a great idea.

Suction Pipe
Old 05-10-2011, 07:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Kind of like that, yes, but it just bends 90 degrees at the very end rather than looping around all the way. The existing pump came with a straight piece of tubing melted to join with an already bent elbow piece. I guess I'll just get a straight piece of flexible tubing and attach it to a powerhead fixture

(yet another thing I don't know the name of, the piece if plastic that is shaped to adjust how the water flows out of it.)

I run electrical appliances underwater and enjoy injecting things with Kalk filled syringes.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcothelia View Post
Kind of like that, yes, but it just bends 90 degrees at the very end rather than looping around all the way. The existing pump came with a straight piece of tubing melted to join with an already bent elbow piece. I guess I'll just get a straight piece of flexible tubing and attach it to a powerhead fixture

(yet another thing I don't know the name of, the piece if plastic that is shaped to adjust how the water flows out of it.)
Do you mean a spray bar? It spreads the outflow along (in my case) the back of the aquarium.

As for the 90, I've used flex tubing to make a 90 without it collapsing. 180 is a bit more difficult, but a 90 is easy IME unless the tubing you use is of questionable quality.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:37 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Na, it's not a spray bar. It's just a piece of tubing that attaches to my pump and is bent 90 degrees at one end to attach to the outlet fixture and return the water to the tank. I need another one for redundancy and to increase my circulation.

I'm just thinking about using PVC and PVC cement because I can't figure out what this bit is called. It's basically a piece of vinyl with an elbow already built into it.

It's pretty much the suction pipe that limpet posted up above, but cut in half so it doesn't loop down.

Tags
bent, tubing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com