Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-12-2005, 12:41 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Berlin Skimmer vs. venturi skimmer w/ wetdry

I am just beginning a 75 gallon FO tank and I was wondering what would be a better choice for skimming. I have the choice of buying a Proclear wet/dry filter with a built in venturi skimmer or a berlin skimmer and live rock.I would really like to know if the venturi skimmer is a good enough skimmer to run a tank on because of how nice the wet/dry is. The guy at the petstore told me that it was a very good skimmer and had a nice long contact time between the bubbles and the water. Then at a differant petstore the people told me to buy 60lbs of live rock and a berlin skimmer. I just want to start with a FO tank and I want to know if this Pro clear skimmer will be a good investment or if i should go the berlin route.

bj5z25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 10:34 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
Tough question. If I had to buy equipment again (Wife would kill me) I would probably simplify my setup and buy a turboflotor or Remora protein skimmer with as much live rock as I can afford (as much as my wife let's me buy). I like the spray injection idea of the Remora and people swear by them on this forum and in stores alike. Wet Dry's have fallen out of trend in the hobby because of the Nitrate accumulation from buildup within the surface area of the bio balls. I clean out 50% of my bio balls every 6 months to fight this and would love a denitrating unit (Not in the budget) Many flood the space where the balls are held in the wet dry and replace them with live rock rubble to allow for microbes and fauna to flourish without predation(refugium). It's a good idea but I like the oxygenation of the water traveling through the bio balls. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Hope I stayed on topic.
75 Gal FOWLR est. 6-01
Wet Dry w/Amiracle Skimmer
[Bio Balls/1lbs. slow drip Carbon]
9 Watt UV Ster.
100lbs. Live Rock (Fiji,Tonga Br)
125lbs. Aragonite Base
Maculosus Angel~Yellow Tang~Flame Hawk~Canary Blenny~Pajama Cardinal~Bl Yel Tl Damsel~Brittle Star

10 Gallon Sea Clear Acrylic est. 7-05
Whisper HOB w/carbon+ 1 rio 400 PH
65 watt 12K PC
DSB + 6lbs. Fiji LR/2lbs. Base R
5 Bl Leg Hermits/ 5 Astrea Snails
1 Serpeant Star/ 1 Whte Burr Star
Leather Coral
Orange+Green Zoos
Growth of Halimeda
SALTYDAWGY is offline   Reply With Quote

skimmer, venturi

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com