Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-04-2011, 05:08 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Best aquarium filters

I have a 30 gallon tank at the moment and use a tetra whisper filter. I was wondering what all of you would say the "best" filters are?

Old 07-04-2011, 05:29 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd say Marineland Eclipse hood filters are excellent for my bottomless tanks.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:44 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hands down the Aqua Clear 50 is the best filter you can select for your 30g tank IMO/E. Having two filters is always a good option/idea (AKA you can never have enough filtration), so add the AC50 and keep the tetra in operation is my best recommendation.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:55 AM   #4
come get me tang police!

I'm partial to the marineland magnum H.O.T. filters on tanks 30g-50g.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:41 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm with Mr. Limpet I have 3 tanks all Aqua Clear. I just order a 110 for my 46. My 36 will have a 70 & 50 from my 20 GL , my 20 will get the other 70.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:14 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

All I use are aquaclears and fluvals. The aquaclears have been around over 20 years, I was using them back when I was a teenager, and never had any trouble then or now.

They allow full customization of your filter media, no prepackaged cartrdiges.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Best Aquarium Filters

Good morning Some...

Will have to "piggyback" those partial to Aqua Clear power filters. Have use them for years from 20s to 70s and never had a problem. Easy to clean and reassemble.

One caution, if you have small fish and even smaller fry, you'll need to get a small cover for the extension tube that runs vertically from the filter case. Unless you don't mind retrieving fry from the case every time you do a water change. Sometimes the little guys get sucked up into the filter. Doesn't seem to bother them though.

B
Old 07-04-2011, 12:57 PM   #8
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I prefer canisters over HOB's, but HOB's do fine on smaller tanks. There isn't a 'best filter' out there. Everyone has their opinions. I'll have to say, aqua clears are my favorite HOB that I've used, so I'll join in on the recommendation.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:06 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to Von Devilish
for all my smaller tanks, I basically stick to x3 rule of thumb, 20 gallon tank gets 60 gallon filter + undergravel filter. 29 gallon tank gets 90 gallon filter + undergravel filter. I have only been in the fish hobby for a little over a year, so I havent had any problems with any of the filters I have gotten yet, but I have learned I dont like any of the on the back filters that have the little paddle wheels that turn with the waterflow, I prefer the ones that have the scrubber insert that you just rinse out occasionally. Additionally, I run an air pump into the power heads (I only use the Marineland 1140 powerhead -300 gph) for extra oxygenation. I change all insert filters on my smaller tanks on the first of each month.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:09 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to Von Devilish
my 220 I have 4 -100 gallon otb filters but I am getting ready to order a large canister filter, which will be my first canister filter. This winter I'm building a 880 Gallon Tank to the floor in my basement.

Tags
filter, filters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com