Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-14-2013, 01:18 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Best bang for your buck 5 Stage RO/DI unit

I'm almost ready for corals and all I'm missing is the lighting, RO/DI unit, and the corals themselves.

I'm planning to open an aquarium maintenance company in the coming months and have been searching for a good wholesaler. I've come across a few good ones but I don't want to wait until I get a business license.

So, what's the best quality 5 stage RO/DI unit available for a good price? Ideally, with a TDS meter and from a retailer that ships to canada.

Thanks in advance guys

Old 11-14-2013, 01:20 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I got my 4 stage from purewaterclub.com. It works very well and only cost me $60. Look around on their site they have many different options and free shipping.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:22 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Out of curiosity, what's the difference between a 4 stage and a 5 stage. Well, obviously one has one more stage. But what does that stage do?
Old 11-14-2013, 01:22 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCommunityCichlid View Post
I got my 4 stage from purewaterclub.com. It works very well and only cost me $60. Look around on their site they have many different options and free shipping.
Ill second this, cheap but effective unit! Can't beat 100 gpd for $60
Old 11-14-2013, 01:41 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwalters View Post
Out of curiosity, what's the difference between a 4 stage and a 5 stage. Well, obviously one has one more stage. But what does that stage do?
It's just an extra cartridge spot, usually comes with an extra carbon block to help completely rid all contaminants. It's better for added safety or if you have really high TDS in your water. 4 stages are perfectly fine as well.

As for the supplied site, thanks guys it's exactly what I was looking for!
Old 11-14-2013, 06:35 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

if you want the best bang for your buck go with Spectrapure. I wish I did. Instead I opted for a 4 stage Coralife Pure-Flo. Now I am stuck with a unit that leaks and produces a lot of waste water in addition to being very slow. Check this out: Refurbished 90-GPD RODI System
Old 11-14-2013, 08:58 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I started with the purewater club ro/di and it was great for the first year. Perfect price point and worked flawlessly. I however make way more water than the average user so I upgraded to a bulk reef supply plus unit. 5 stages- sediment, 2 carbon, di and the membrane. Cost me $180 during the group buy but thats an awesome price. It comes with the auto shut off, membrane flushing parts as well as two tds meters so you can tell when the unit needs new filters. I also bought the piggyback membrane so I get less waste water and double the water. I make about 6g an hour, maybe a little more.
But like I said, I go through several hundred gallons per month. But I would still say look at their 4 stage plus units, defintiely worth it.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Hmm, I've heard good things from both spectra and the BRS units but I'm loving the price points for the pure water club units, especially at 150g a day.

So, I think I'm going to go with the pure water unit for now, and if my business clientele starts to rise, I'm definitely going to invest in another unit so I have one for home use and one for business purposes.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:22 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use the BRS 5 stage plus unit, $180 during a group buy. Well worth it, and very well built. Plus free shipping.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:25 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmolavi View Post
I use the BRS 5 stage plus unit, $180 during a group buy. Well worth it, and very well built. Plus free shipping.
I think I might upgrade to a BRS unit over a spectra but I don't think the free shipping includes Canadians.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com