Best canister filter...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Douglas4701

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have one but am thinking of going even larger and using my current one for a smaller tank...

Best brand? Best attachments? Etc

I really like fluval fx5. It was been a really good filter for my setup. I'm currently using on my 72 bow. Has great flow and can be customized by adding different media.

I have the Eheim 2217 and its great, has a very good flow, doesn't make a sound once settled, you can customise with all sorts of different media. I currently have a carbon pad 1/2inch at the bottom then a layer of little carbon rocks 1inch then ciramic tubes/rings all different sizes around 8inches then a corse pad 2inch then filter floss 2 inch. never had any problems, I personally thought it was easy to set up, easy to maintane, aslong as all tubes are pushed in properly you'll never have a leak. Perfect filter for me. But any Eheim filter's are good, The new models even prime themselves.

I also have the Eheim 2217 it runs on my 90 gallon. It is a great filter, great filtration, great flow, simple dynamics highly recommend :)

The store guys told me not to get an fx5 for my 50 gal. Too much powering guess. They said go with a marineland 100 gal. ????

The store guys told me not to get an fx5 for my 50 gal. Too much powering guess. They said go with a marineland 100 gal. ????

An FX-5 on a 50gal can be a bit much ... A fluval 406 would do nicely ... maybe even a slightly lower 306. A marineland 100gal sounds like their emperor HOB filters ... If Someone else could verify?

The one I saw was a canister. I figure I might as well go with fluvall or marineland due to ability to obtain media that fits it right?

I personally using Fluval 306 with 55 gallon tank. It is perfect. Every easy to use!!

I personally using Fluval 306 with 55 gallon tank. It is perfect. Every easy to use!!

I was toying with the thought of a 306 or 406 for my 56 gallon tank, primarily since I have 400 gph of filtration now, and have crystal clear water, and would like to keep it that way. Would the 406 create too much current for the tank (or is the output adjustable/able to be "fanned out", etc)?

I have a 406 in my 55 gallon and flow doesnt seem to be an issue. If you find the flow to much you can regulate it with the shut off valve in the quick connect on top of the canister

I was toying with the thought of a 306 or 406 for my 56 gallon tank, primarily since I have 400 gph of filtration now, and have crystal clear water, and would like to keep it that way. Would the 406 create too much current for the tank (or is the output adjustable/able to be "fanned out", etc)?

In this case, you're not going to get that much more benefit from a 406 than a 306 since you already have a fairly high GPH filter. I'd see it as a cost savings decision .... save a little more on the 306 which will more than adequately do the job ... both as a support and/or a primary filter(should your other fail).

In this case, you're not going to get that much more benefit from a 406 than a 306 since you already have a fairly high GPH filter. I'd see it as a cost savings decision .... save a little more on the 306 which will more than adequately do the job ... both as a support and/or a primary filter(should your other fail).

Sorry for the confusion...I wasn't looking to add to the filtration, but replace my 2 HOB power filters with a single canister.

I would suggest running a hob with a canister. Just creates more cleanliness and also helps add oxygen into the tank with the return.

I have the Fluval 406 on my 55g reef- works great, and not too much flow. I also use a AC30 hob filter going that I have converted into a hob refugium. :)

I use a fluval 206 on my 50g planted along with a Fluval u2 internal filter.

The 206 handles my bioload sufficiently but I like the fail safe of having the extra U2 internal just incase one stops working.

Jon

I have an aquatop cf300 (guessing same as fluvall 306) and a tetra whisper ex70 which is the largest of the tetra hobs. I also use a eheim siphon vac daily.

I have a 406 in my 55 gallon and flow doesnt seem to be an issue. If you find the flow to much you can regulate it with the shut off valve in the quick connect on top of the canister

How long have you had your 406? I've been seeing reports of impeller noise after about 6 months that can't be resolved.

Back
Top Bottom