Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Never tried Fluval but I have over a dozen Eheim Pro II and Pro III canisters and they work great. It looks like it is not that much more expensive to get one of the Eheim Pro III 2071/2073 canisters instead of a Fluval 406. Everything you need is included along with a modular intake and spraybar. They do not use much power and are very quiet. They have a 3 year warranty as well.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:14 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

I know I'm alittle late to this but if one of the canisters seem to break or fail at some point, could all the water from the tank be on the floor, leaving the fish in the tank dead?

Old 04-22-2013, 10:42 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

That would have to be some crazy catastrophic failure where the intake tube would have to completely separate from the canister and it would keep siphoning untill it reached the intake strainer. Never heard or read about something like that happening. I did read tops of canisters blowing off but it was due to human error, wasn't put on right. Todays designs are pretty much stupid proof, so the chances of something like that happening are very slim to none.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:05 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well I only ask because I heard the O-ring sometime fails in the fluvals so I thought it would just leak until there is nothing left in the tank
Old 04-22-2013, 12:56 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yes, this could be an issue but I think if you take your time and reassemble carefully it wouldnt be a worry for me.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Any canister filter can potentially leak.

I have had multiple canisters leak over the years for different reasons. They were all slow leaks but if not noticed right away can still cause quite a mess to clean up.

If the worst were to happen you would lose water down to where the intake is taking in water so you would always have some water in the tank (depending on how high your intake is from the tank bottom).

I place my canisters in plastic dishwashing containers and then have battery operated water alarms in each so that they will detect any slow leaking water.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:45 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

How high should one place the intake? For the HOB mine is like 2 inches from the gravel
Old 04-22-2013, 01:53 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcahow View Post
Any canister filter can potentially leak.

I have had multiple canisters leak over the years for different reasons. They were all slow leaks but if not noticed right away can still cause quite a mess to clean up.

If the worst were to happen you would lose water down to where the intake is taking in water so you would always have some water in the tank (depending on how high your intake is from the tank bottom).

I place my canisters in plastic dishwashing containers and then have battery operated water alarms in each so that they will detect any slow leaking water.
Did you noticed the leak right away? What if it started when I was at work? Roughly how long would it take for a 55 gallon tank to become empty with one of your small leaks? Also what happened to your filters? What spare parts should I buy just in case?
Old 04-22-2013, 01:55 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

I try to place my intakes as low as they can go as that allows me to leave them running and change out more water at one time. It also pulls water from farther down in the tank giving better water circulation.

My intakes are probably about 4-10 inches from the bottom of the tank depending on the tank height.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by giffmastaflex View Post
Did you noticed the leak right away? What if it started when I was at work? Roughly how long would it take for a 55 gallon tank to become empty with one of your small leaks? Also what happened to your filters? What spare parts should I buy just in case?
I either noticed the leaking by:

1) The tank water level being visible lower when viewing or feeding
2) Detecting water on the floor or carpet by the tank

Yes, they can happen when you are away that is why I have the canisters contained with water alarms now. Slow leaks would take many hours before they would even fill the containers holding the canisters.

If I was not home then there is no one to hear the alarm until I get back. I know of nothing that would detect water and signal my phone but that is probably coming.

My Pro II Eheim leaked because of a crack piece from stress (older Pro II models with too long of hoses put a lot of stress on canister hose connection piece when they hang down going into the canister). I shortened the hoses and bought new hose connection.

New Pro III models had a manufacturing defect back in 2009/10 causing many head leaks and Eheim replaced all my Pro III heads for free).

Canister containers like I use:
Amazon.com: Rubbermaid #2951-AR BISQUE 11.4 QT Bisque Dish Pan: Home & Kitchen

Water alarms like I use:
Doberman Security Water Detector Alert-SE-0111 at The Home Depot

Tags
canister, canister filter, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com