Best canister filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmarine

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What is the best/most recommended/favorite canister filter? I'm looking at getting one, and want to know which i should get.

There are lots of good canister filters, so more info about your setup would be helpful. What size tank? What do you plan to keep in it? The Fluval 05 and 06 filters are good for most setups, but not all.

There are lots of good canister filters, so more info about your setup would be helpful. What size tank? What do you plan to keep in it? The Fluval 05 and 06 filters are good for most setups, but not all.

Well it would be for a 55 gallon and keeping african cichlids (it would have 2 hobs also), but i'm also thinking about getting more big tanks and wondering what people recommend, i'm going for quiet for sure, and quite powerful

I posted this in another thread for you, but then I saw this one so I thought Id post it here as well.

Sorry to "butt in" haha but I have a Fluval and Its great! I highly recommend Fluval canisters, I have a 406 running in my bedroom and as long as the water output hose is fully submerged I can barely hear a slight "humming" sound coming from inside my wooden stand/cabinet. I use the basic filter media that's provided - Bio-Foam, Carbon, BIOMAX and a water polishing pad and the water stays extremely clean and cyrstal clear.

Haha thanks! Thats definitely one of my options! I'm a pretty big fan of fluval lol

Yea no problem. I tend to buy a lot of Fluval products and Ive never had any problems with them. Knock on wood haha

Yeah I'd have to recommend the* fluval all canister line. One of the best out there and ehiem classics are decent for the money.

Last edited:
Just buy something your local fish shop sells spares for

No point in buying something you will have to order parts for in which time the filter could be out of action days not hours if you can get spare from your local fish store

Also I would buy it from your local store then if you have problems you can take it into the store and exchange it on the spot better than sending it all back then waiting days for a new one

You may pay a bit more from a store but well worth it in my opinion

I buy heaters and filters from a store

Filter media food all ordered online

For all the major brands Fluval, Eheim, etc... parts are easy to come by so I usually don't worry too much about it. As long as you have a few power heads you should be good to go if the filter goes down. I can't think of anything you can't get online sent to you within a day or two (free shipping).

I try to use the local mom and pop LFS but a little more doesn't describe the price markup. I do think one should have a general tub of stuff, a spare heater, power head, sponge filter, air pump, etc..... with these you can easily avoid any issues with broken parts.

Back
Top Bottom