Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-28-2005, 03:26 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

wow, I didn't know Jebo's had been around long enough to be able to assume they can last as long as most Ehiem's have. Guess I'll have to ask around a little more to get a grasp on the pristine reputation they have built from years of use to be able to compare them to Ehiem canisters... including new models they are copying.

I quess its the simple details like super thin plumbing that collapses under its own weight, or the stationary intake and output nozzles that are made to look like they can pivot on the box that just scream quality.

Not saying that these filters are bad, but they are priced where they are for a reason.

Old 04-28-2005, 09:17 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

Plumbing didn't collapse for me. It's all about proper handling.You would still be ahead if you replaced them with those 'top of the line Eheim hoses' . If you like spending in excess of $100.00 more for those nifty nozzles, GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh is that like the reputation Mercedes has built, yet suffer now from poor build quality. Not saying Eheim is really bad but rediculously overpriced.There will always be the consumer that pays any price and keeps companies like these from being competitive with their prices.

Old 04-29-2005, 03:50 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by piranha
Not saying Eheim is really bad but rediculously overpriced.
Not going to argue with you on that as far as the higher end models are concerned.
Old 04-29-2005, 06:04 PM   #24

I have run a Rena XP-2 as a 'rescue mission' on a massively overstocked 6 gallon tank for several months, as my original 6" of fish (four 1 1/2" tin foil barbs) quickly grew to about 16" of fish ! It does a good job of removing solids. It does a reasonably good job of carbon filtering. If there's a weak point it's because you can't get a 100% seal so some of the water always bypasses the filter media - but this is true of most canister filters not just the Rena. It does a mediocre job of bio-filtration despite having one tray layer full of bio-rings. By my stopwatch and bucket, except when freshly cleaned it pumps about 160gph, which is a lot for my 6 gallon tank but IMHO not really adequate for any tank bigger than 30 gallons or so. Rena also makes the XP-3 model which has a 50% bigger pump and an extra double-decker media tray, which comes in handy because it allows you to load twice as much carbon, twice as many bio-rings, or a special purpose media. While I haven't owned an XP-3 myself, lots of people are reportedly very happy with them on tanks up to 55 gal.

I wouldn't call my XP-2 'loud' but it is audible from across the room if you listen for it. All in all IMHO Rena makes a whole lot of filter for the price, but they're certainly not 'perfect'.
Old 05-01-2005, 01:46 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by melonie
I wouldn't call my XP-2 'loud' but it is audible from across the room if you listen for it. All in all IMHO Rena makes a whole lot of filter for the price, but they're certainly not 'perfect'.
That's pretty loud then, I had a XP3 and you could hear it from across the room with the cabinent door closed.
I bought a eheim and it was about 60 dollars more, but it came with all media and the extra installation kit (spray bar and intake) and it is EXTREMLY quiet, you can just barely hear it 15 inches away with the door open and with it closed you can hear anything.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:27 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just swapped out a Jebo 828 today for a Eheim 2217. The Jebo was supposed to be my backup filter, but because it primed so easy I started using it first. It worked great for me but the noise drove me crazy. My Eheim is totally silent and the Jebo is religated to its orignal role as backup. The 2217 also seems to pump more water. The big upside of the Jebo was its media baskets which makes changing or rinsing of media very easy.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:56 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

My Jebo is super silent. Sorry to hear yours is noisy.What type of noise -motor humming or air bubbles in the cannister? Mine is noisy right after priming until the air is purged.There have been aquarists that have checked the gph rate of both filters with no media and found them to be very close.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:59 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Why is it that the only filters people ever discuss are the Fluval, Eheim, and Filstars?
Old 06-09-2005, 08:09 AM   #29

well, I've posted about my Pentair Rainbow Lifegard modular filter setup in another thread... but it isn't officially considered to be a 'canister' filter I guess, and it didn't elicit much in the way of comments/responses. Eheims get a lot of attention because they're considered to be the 'Mercedes Benz' of canister filters. Fluvals and Filstars get a lot of attention because they are available from 100 internet suppliers at major discounts. There are quite a few comments about Magnums, Jebos etc. as well. My guess is that Eheim, Fluval and Filstar pretty much have captured the majority of the market, so the majority of posters here are just speaking from experience !
Old 06-09-2005, 10:39 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's just that I have Cascade canisters and it's like noone will even give them a chance. The lfs doesn't sell any other brand besides Cascade, so thats why I bought it. And I'm absolutely in love with it. I have talked to individuals who have had Eheim's, Fluval's, and Cascades and said that they prefered the look and quality of the Cascade. But it's like noone will even give it a chance when all they have ever used are Eheim's and Fluvals. It's just frustrating when someone will ask what brand to buy and everyone those out "the Big Three" but totally disregards the Cascade. It's a great, durable filter that is receiving rave reviews. Yet it is going unnoticed.

Tags
canister, canister filter, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com