best canister filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ouch

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to get a new canister filter but all the reviews on the net are mixed :S
so maybe someone here will be able to tell me a better answer...
which is more quiet? fluval or Eheim classic?
is it better to get a less GPH but more efficient eheim, or a higher GPH fluval?
I herd Fluval has higher gph but eheim classic is more efficient...so then which is better?
I am choosing between getting a fluval 404 or Eheim classic 2213.
Thanks.

Eheim classics are far better, but also a fair bit more pricey. For a less-expensive, highly-rated canister, consider a Rena Filstar XP3.

I had the same issues when researching for a canister. Would have gone eheim but just to much money. Heard too many "bad" things on the fluvol so I ended up going with the rena filstar xp3. Its working great for me although it is my first and only experience with a canister. Good luck

Can't go wrong with a Filstar XP3, They are a great canister for the money. Mine is almost silent. You have to be against aquarium to hear it. Does an excellent job filtering also. HTH

If you want an Eheim,don't waste your money.You can get its' clone, the JEBO brand.Every feature of the Pro Classic but a fraction of the cost.I Have the Jebo 828 and am very satisfied.Look for it at the superfishstore.com or aquatraders.com.

Asking a bunch of aquarists which filter is BEST is something of a loaded question. There is no way anyone but you can answer that one.

However, having owned both the Eheim classic and the Fluval I can say both are extremely quiet.

best of luck in your decision
asaint

As a Jebo owner, I can say they are not cheap, inexpensive yes. I have spoken with people that have been using them for years,trouble free.The reason they are inexpensive is their country of origin. The motors are well made,as is the housing.The German made Eheims are well made but way overpriced.The Jebo has every feature that the Eheim Pro has and is extremely quiet.The Eheim 2213 is for smaller tanks 20-40 gallons,is the low end model,doesn't have a primer button,making in difficult to start,and is reflective of its price. At $59.99 you could own The Jebo 828(for tanks up to 125 gallons),the equivalent of the Eheim 2028 Pro 2( their best) that sells for $200.00 plus. You Decide!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For best prices go to the superfishstore.com. Petsolutions also overpriced!

Actually ouch I see that you are in canada.... Most of the sites suggested will end up costing more due to exchanging currencies as well as shipping it across the border. I found an excellent price on my xp3 at "jlaquatics.com" $149.95. compared to bigalsonline at $199.95. If you spend $200 or more they'll ship for free. Try getting your filter, heater and a few misc and you should end up right around 200 bucks to get the free shipping. Mine came undamaged and in only 2 days. It is mainly a sw website but filters are filters and heaters are heaters.... Good luck

For best prices go to the superfishstore.com. Petsolutions also overpriced!
Really? An eheim 2217 filter sells for 124.99 on superfishstore.com. It sells for 119.99 on petsolutions.
Whats the warranty on something made for mass cheap production from China? What I've heard about Jebo's is that the gph is grossly underrated, and the parts are cheaply made. I guess if youre on a strict budget, and "have" to get a cheap canister you could consider a Jebo.
I think I would trust a German made product hands down over crap from China. JMO

i've heard enough bad things about jebo products to make me not want to buy them however i'm not saying they dont work since i dont have any.

Dr Girl_ 1 year warranty-- If you don't own it ,you can't knock it! The GPH rating on Eheims has been tested by other aquarists I have spoken with and theirs is also grossly overrated! If you understand though that GPH ratings aren't a major issue when speaking of cannister filters and that they are biological/chemical cleaners because of their size and ability to hold large amounts of different media.Parts on the Jebo are not cheap at all.They will break though when abused or not used in a careful manner as will on any cannister.The money not wasted on an Eheim is well spent on other fish and supplies.If you wanted a great filter ,why would you buy the cheapest Eheim there is?As far as comparison prices go,Pet solutions are as much as $60.00 more than the superfishstore on the better Eheims.Compare models 2026,2028,2222,2224. And I wouldn't buy a Mercedes E-class either because their quality has suffered a major blow.

Filstar is loud (at least mine is)

hmm... I am sitting 15 feet from my Aquarium as I type this message on a laptop, and I can still hear my Filstar XP3, and it's in a cabinet with the door closed. If I open the door, then I can hear it from 25 feet away and this is above the noise of the refrigirator.

It's been running for 2 days now and has not become any more silent.
The water is crystal clear though, but overal I am disappointed with the noise, I went from a near silent Aquaclear 70 to super loud.

I am going to call Aquarium Pharmicuticals today and see if there is a issue with the impeller, maybe I have a defective unit. I did inspect the impeller and the well, and there are no visible signs of damage or defect.

slowboattochina said:
Can't go wrong with a Filstar XP3, They are a great canister for the money. Mine is almost silent. You have to be against aquarium to hear it. Does an excellent job filtering also. HTH

The filstars are extremely loud, probably 10 times or more louder than say a Hagen Aquaclear 70 (old 300)

If you want quiet stay far away from the Rena products.

If noise is not a issue the Filstar would be a good choice, it's well made and keeps the water crystal clear.

Toirtis said:
Eheim classics are far better, but also a fair bit more pricey. For a less-expensive, highly-rated canister, consider a Rena Filstar XP3.

snorkel said:
The filstars are extremely loud, probably 10 times or more louder than say a Hagen Aquaclear 70 (old 300)

If you want quiet stay far away from the Rena products.

Sorry, but yours is a single, short experience.....I know probably 100+ people running Filstar xp3's and nobody has a noise problem with theirs....I would suggest that something is wrong with yours.

And as far as Rena products go, not only are their Filstars typically quiet, their air-pumps are amongrst the most quiet available.

I don't think there was anything wrong with it, I think it's just a matter of what you consider loud or not.

I have seen post after post complaining about the Filstars and noise, I also saw a lot saying they are quiet, and I ordered one because there where a lot of people who said they were super quiet, but that in reality was not the fact.

I guess the ultimate test would be to use a decibel tester to see how many a Filstar really produces. From my experience I would say it would be pretty high.

Even if I did have a 'bad' one it kind of points to some manufacturing quality problems.

Toirtis said:
Sorry, but yours is a single, short experience.....I know probably 100+ people running Filstar xp3's and nobody has a noise problem with theirs....I would suggest that something is wrong with yours.

Jebo's are great for their price. :mrgreen:

but don't confuse it with the quality of a Eheim.

First question is what size tank to you plan to run this canister on and what other forms of filtration does it currently have?

2213 as the only mechanical filter isn't the best choice for a tank larger then 29 gal when fully stocked. It would be a great secondary filter for additional biological filtration. IMO if its around 29 gal i would step up to the 2215 or even the 2217 if its around 40+ gals.

If you are ok not getting all the bells and whistles of current canisters then the classics are a great, simple, efficient filter when mated to a proper sized tank.

Renas are also a great canister for the price. I have a friend that runs 3 (xp2 and xp3) of them and he loves them. They do produce a slight hum, but overall are very quiet and well built.

If i were to compare them to the automotive world...

Jebo = hyundai/ Daiwoo (potentially just as reliable as any other car, but the build quality just is not there)

Rena = Subaru (Good price to quality ratio)

Ehiem = Lexus (Excellent build quality, but still just an overpriced Toyota) You got to pay to play. :mrgreen:

Think i over generalized a bit, but its just to give you a rough idea on where I think these canisters stand. If your not into cars, just ignore that last part. :lol:

Asking a bunch of aquarists which filter is BEST is something of a loaded question.

Wooo! The understatement of the year! :D

I have had a Filstar XP3 for a long time. I have to say it is extremely quite. Unfortunately for me, I got it after I had set up my tank. It is too big to fit through the door of my corner tank, so it has to sit outside the cabinet, on the floor. (My wife deftly decorated around it.) Even when my wife and I are sitting there reading, you can barely hear it. As I have said before, my laptop fan is louder than the XP3.

Snorkel, not sure why yours is loud, but I would definitely call Rena before I give up on the filter.

If you don't own a Jebo,you can't rate it. All of the many aquarists I've spoken with believe the Jebo is an excellent filter.The price difference wasted on an Eheim could be used for more fish and supplies.When handled with care ,the Jebo can easily last as long if not longer than Eheim.The 828 is the equivalent of the Pro 2 series with all the same features.I haven't a complaint about my quiet,efficient,reliable 828.

Back
Top Bottom