Best canister filter? Good price?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

siva

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just have HOB filters on my tanks but I need something a bit more capable for my red eared slider. What's the best canister filter and what should I be paying for it?

I just have HOB filters on my tanks but I need something a bit more capable for my red eared slider. What's the best canister filter and what should I be paying for it?

I don't know the specifics of your tank, but I got my Fluval 305 for 115.00. Their deal is over and I saw it at Amazon for the same price. I love it so far on my 29g, can't really rate its performance though since it's only been a 1 1/2 weeks.

I just bought the Eheim ecco 2236 for $136 i think on amazon with free shipping. This canister is easy mode due to its self priming also it is overkill in my 36g but i dont think there is such thing as too much filtration, another thing is it is really quite.

Oh sorry it's a 55 gal tank and I need like triple filtration.

I have 2 fluvals and love them both. The 405 is 149 I think on amazon and they have the fx5 which I would recommend for 234. Not sure what fish you will have but if theyre messy you might be good with either.:) imo

Oh it's a red eared slider (aquatic turtle)..hence my need for some serious filtration :)

I have a marineland magnum 350 that was on my old hexagon tank, it is rated for 350gph and worked great for me. They are cheap too, 118 bucks at petco.

I have a marineland magnum 350 that was on my old hexagon tank, it is rated for 350gph and worked great for me. They are cheap too, 118 bucks at petco.

My lfs recommended the marineland. They were selling the one I need for $270 (on sale) but I still need to price shop online more. I can't believe how much these things cost.

So I was told the fluvals are great, but that getting parts for them when they need repair can be very tricky. Any truth to this?

To be frank, yes, fluval parts aren't as common. I have a fluval 305 and it does excellently. You're going to be spending anywhere from 120-200 dollars on a filter. As per gallonage recommended, you're going to be paying about the same price for any filter. Eheim parts are easily obtained though if you want something easy to repair.

siva said:
My lfs recommended the marineland. They were selling the one I need for $270 (on sale) but I still need to price shop online more. I can't believe how much these things cost.

So I was told the fluvals are great, but that getting parts for them when they need repair can be very tricky. Any truth to this?

One of my LFS carries a whole section of spare parts for fluval cans (impeller, hose, etc.).

I'm not finding any quite that cheap..more like $230 - $300 for anything that's for 150 gals.

That looks like a great deal. Anyone have anything bad to say about these?

Back
Top Bottom