?Best Canister filter suggestion for situation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Electrobes

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I have been on a bigger tank hunt since ever, while my poor Oscars (two 4-5 inch) and a newly added pleco I had to get out of my 29 gallon at home (I go to college in UF, where I ahve my 45 gallon tall). There have been many great deals but of course they ahve all failed because the people who like posting ads unfortunately do not like calling back or even recieving their calls. My current tank, the 45 gallon tall only has a huge power filter on it, and a Tetra tec 150, bagged with porous rock, and the whisper carbon. I am thinking of just getting an XP3 by Filstar, so when I do get my 100 plus tank I can add the canister filter to it and be done with this mess and have a complete set up. So basically I wold have the XP3 on my 45 Gallon Tall until I found a tank for these guys... what do you all think of this idea?

Xp3 would be fine for that tank. I prefer biowheels for biological filtering but thats a personal preference. I've heard good things about that filter for the price.

well I was thining about gettign the bio-wheel attachment with it.. considering I have pretty much given up on the idea of gettigna wet/dry because its taking too long to find a tank or build one and these poor guys honestly need better filtration in their tank - What I am wondering is that if I were to get a 100-125 gallon tank.. would the filtration be good enough for these three fish and only three fish, I do not plan on adding anymore to the tank

I have 2 oscars, 2 jack dempseys, & 1 large pleco in a 100 gal. tank right now. I have an XP2 and an XP3 running along with a sponge filter rated for a 75 gal. tank. My tank is crystal clear, but I don't think I could reduce my filtration in that tank. My pleco is the messiest fish in the tank. He's about 8 inches long. However, I am very happy with my filstars performance. I got both of mine on ebay in new condition. My XP3 cost me $90.00 including shipping. I highly recommend them.

I am a bit confused about buying an XP3 from either fostersand smith or Big al... there is a pretty significant price difference.. and I am not sure if I need only the XP3 and/or other accesories... can someone elaborate as to what I really need? thanks!

fosters probably just doesn't sell too many of the xp3, so their price is high

look at the eheim 2217 when you're at big als btw

which one would be better for my situation? I mean I guess I don't really need a super canister filter because once I do get my 125G tank, I will be adding a wet/dry along with the canister filter. I guess I want the best canister filter that will be great for a 45 gallon... and nice to combine it with a wet/dry filter for when I get a 125G tank :D - Thanks!

Also I mean... even the 2215 plus kit looks good too.. considering my situation.. any other suggestions? Thanks everyone! :oops: :D

I just bought the xp1 for my 30 gallon and I couldn't be happier, it's just a great filter. BTW, whatever you do, get some prices online before going shopping for one. I got really gouged and was p.o.'d when I got home and found that I could get the xp3 for the price I paid for the xp1. But, so far it's a great filter, and as the xp3 is just a larger version, I'm sure you'll love it.

yeah I know what you mean.. my fiance almost bought me a fluval once at petsmart, but she remembered looking on my computer once when I elft a webpage open and saw it for half the price plus shipping!

The XP3 I got from Bigalsonline did come with filter media. I called them and asked, since it did not specify! I would assume this to be the case for the other Filstar filters. I really love this thing, especially the ability to control flow coming out of the spray bar (or from the optional power jet) for slowing down the flow at feeding time.

I was going to get the XP3 for my 120 gal but the local BigAl's had none in stock when I was there. So I went with the Ehime 2217. (OK so I am impatient and did not want to wait a couple of days :) )

I looked at the XP2 they had in stock and they look like very good well made filters.

I got the XP3 and I am really excited. I can;t wait to actually find a 100+ gallon tank for the little guys. Once I do find that tank, I am happy to know that it will have a good filtration system, having both the XP3 and the wet/dry :D Thanks a lot guys for all of your help! :mrgreen:

careful if you go for an exactly 100gal :lol: That is the size I originally wanted, but the only one that was available here was un-reinforced with those metal tank band in the middle and the glass looked almost 2x as thick as the 120 I ended up getting.
I don't think I would have made it down the stairs in one piece with the 100 .

They were the same size base 60*18 and the 120 was just a bit taller. The next size up was the 125 and it was 72*18 so would not fit my stand.

I got the Eheim 2215 for my 55 gal and couldn't be happier, and, fingers crossed, it should be VERY low maintenance.

They only negative I have heard about the XP3 is that it can be difficult to find the media. But, if this is not the case, then it would also be and excellent choice.

Back
Top Bottom