Best canister for a 26g tank? Filstar Vs Eheim Vs Fluval

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grimlock3000

Aquarium Advice Addict
I decided to return my HOT Magnum to avoid any potential future issues with the O-rings and D-ring leaking air into my water stream, or possibly even leaking water onto the floor. The quick connects are nice, but I would like something a little more snug. I can surely fix the air leakage (for now), but the Bio-Wheel fits on my tank wrong, my glass cover *barely* fits over the tubes, and my tank water is filled with little micro bubbles from the torrent of water going into the tank from the Bio-Wheel :p I am still using the Magnum until I get something to replace it with and return it. While the small bubbles leaking in might not be much, I really have trouble trusting the filter for long periods of time.

I am looking for a canister filter that will be reliable and low maintence. I have checked around and it looks like the Fluval 304 would give me the most filtration felixibility and I should not run into any leakage issues. And it is fairly cheap at Big Al's Online :) Other options are an Eheim ECCO, but those have a much lower GPH rating and it is harder to get the media for them in my area. I am willing to spend up to $90 or so, and even use a supplemental HOB filter if that would help.

I would suggest a Rena Filstar. Although the Ehiem is probably the best filter, you can spend an arm and a leg to get one. Rena's are very capable filters and are more economical. Media containers for customization,quick disconnect,no bypass filtering, and the Rena comes with a few different options for returning water to the tank. You can check them out at BigAl's and here are two links for spec on the Rena's

http://www.rena.net/cgi-bin/trans.pl/en/products/rena_range/rena_filstar_xp.shtml

http://www.aquariumpharm.com/eqfilter.html

The XP1 is 250 gph, but only has two media bays. The XP2 has 4 media bays, but pushes 300 gph which I suspect is going to be a bit much for some of the fish I might put in the tank. Is there a way to limit the flow on the Filstars?

I am also thinking about using a Fluval 204 and a Aquaclear 200 in combination. So many filters, so little time :O

I don't believe there is. Although depending on how heavy your bio load is and wether the tank is planted or unplanted, you could probably use the xP1. What I always do is figure out the aquariums volume. Take number of gallons*231. That will give you the tanks volume in cubic inches. You want your filter to "turn" over the tanks volume 4 to 5 times and hour. So multiply tanks cubic inches*4 or . Then take the ouput flow of your canister and multiply it by 231. That number will be the max flow in cubic inches per hour. The number for filter flow should be great then the number tank volume*4 or 5. As for the Fluval filters, I couldn't say one way or the other. They always looked kinda cheap to me, but thats just my opinion. Also IMO it's better to have some kind of wet/dry bio filtration, then using a canister for bio. Although they have gotten a lot better. The Rena's use Bio-Balls or Ceramic rings.

Or you can just divide to see how many times the tank water gets turned over per hour, like in this example:

250gph filter/26g tank= 9.6x turnover :)

Anyway, I found out the Filstars do indeed have a control valve for adjusting the overall flow rate through the canister, so I would be able to limit it. Also found out that the low Eheim gph is because the filters are rated WITH media in them, so it makes them hard to compare actual flow rates.

I am more worried about fish getting sucked onto the filter pickup them I am about the flow rate going back into the tank causing too much current. I have some guppy babies that need to get moved into the 26g tank, and they seem to be really bad avoid avoiding the intake current of a AC Mini which is only 100 gph :roll: I want to try to avoid putting a large sponge over the pickup or anything ugly like that :)

I have been reading up as much as possible on filters and the Fluvals seem to get trashed on quite a bit. I know someone with two Fluvals and his tank is beautiful, but I have read enough about them to really second guess purchasing one even though they look like the best deal.

Regarding Eheim, I do not believe I have read any people bashing those filters at all. Filstar has almost as good of a reputation.

When it really comes down to it, I am probably just being way to picky, and any canister should work fine. After having my HOT Magnum be a bad experience, I am just trying to make sure I get the right thing this time.

Current considerations:

Fluval 204
Eheim ECCO 2231
Filstar XP2

Reliability and ease of use are my main concerns, which I why I am thinking of the ECCO even though it has the lowest flow rate. Whichever canister I get is going to be used in combination with a small HOB filter as well.

I never was a math wiz :) Anyways I think all three are good choices, with the ecco and the Filstar being the best two. Again I would go with the Filstar because of the cost and the media baskets. the ECCO is just a series of pads and sponges, so cleaning would be a pain, and you would have to replace them more often, also cleaning them would disrupt any beneficial bacteria. Thats why I love media baskets. Easier to clean, better longevity with filter media, cheaper too. In the end you gotta make the call though, either way you'll do fine, since you've been doing your homework :)

Eheim canisters are top of the line.
But I use a fluval 404 on my 55gal. and haven't had a bit of trouble out of it.
It keeps the tank clean and the water crystal clear.
IMO the Fluval is the way to go it isn't as costly as an Eheim :lol:

"Again I would go with the Filstar because of the cost and the media baskets. the ECCO is just a series of pads and sponges..."

I thought the media was in seperate containers in the canister? Are you saying that inside the ECCOs is just one big media container and you stack it all at once, so if you have to change the bottom, everything comes out? That would suck.

"IMO the Fluval is the way to go it isn't as costly as an Eheim"

The Eheim ECCOs are pretty cheap, only a few $ more than Fluval. The Ecco I am looking at is $65, compared to $50 for the Fluval 204 and $70 for the Filstar XP2. The main benefit of the Fluval would be the low inital cost, and the easy availibilty of the parts.

The canister I really want is the Ehim 2028, which is $159 w/media! 8O The larget Ecco is $90, and holds twice the media and flows 50% more water than the $65 model. Almost makes me want to spend the extra $25... But then for that much I could get a 404, or a XP3... Or another tank! LOL :p

No, sorry I misspoke. The ECCO has media baskets as well. Geez Grim, Your making this hard on me now. I went and did another review of my facts, and I almost want an Ehiem now. I mean Rena is great too, but you can see that Ehiem really put a lot of thought into their filter. Hell the Ehiem have ceramic impeller shafts and carbon bearings, so you don't end up with magnet filings. Problem for me is I am setting up a 46 gallon, and they have a 35gal model and the 60gal model.Now I am just as torn as you...

Well, after much consideration, I have ordered a Eheim ECCO 2233 and an Aquaclear 200. I simply could not find any big downsides to the ECCO, other than the fact that the manual is bad and a few people have broke the handle as a result of trying to force it. People that did comment on the ECCO said it was a breeze to start and maintain. The AC200 was dirt cheap and is just going to help move the water around the tank and hold carbon if needed. I also ordered some Eheim volcanic rock for biological filtration, and Eheim fine filter floss media which I believe is good for water polishing. The extra media was pretty cheap, the total order was...

AQUACLEAR 200 POWER FILTER $13.99

AQUACLEAR 200 FOAM - SINGLE $1.09

AQUACLEAR EXT. TUBE $1.49

EHEIM ECCO 2233 $79.99

EHFISYNTH- 1 LTR $2.99

EHFILAV 1LTR $4.49

I got the 2233 Eheim so I could have a third media bay to dedicate to biological filtering. With the 2231, I was going to have the biological media stacked on a sponge in the second bay and would have to move it to get the sponge. I ended up spending more than I originally wanted too just for that third media bay, so I hope it works out well. More filtration never hurt anyone, I am looking forward to clear water :)

I think you made an excellent choice. Too bad I was unable to read this thread until later, but I have an Eheim and a Filstar. The "classic" style of Eheim (not the ECCO and not the Professional) is indeed stacked layers of media, no real dividers, so when you clean it you have to find containers to dump the media into, etc. However, having said that it is a wonderful filter. I don't think you will go wrong with any Eheim. The instructions are very brief and obviously translated, so you have to be very careful setting up and learning how to use them. I had a problem once and called them, and the chap on the help line was very helpful. Order your media online and there is no problem. I even use regular filter floss instead of the white fine filter pads, no problem, which you can get anywhere. Otherwise you have ceramic noodles, which you can get anywhere as well. Big Al's has the best price for media as well, as has been said. I think you will be pleased and it will last you a long, long time.

:lol: Gee.. Thanks for throwing the Filstar XP3 into my mix :lol:

We are just about to get a slightly larger tank (75-100 gals) than my current 33 and had it down to either the Fluval 404 or the Magnum 350Pro.

(the Ehime 2026 or 2028 pro II with media are way out of my ball park at almost 2x the price and I don't know much about the older 2215 & 2217 and BigAl's dosen't mention what size tanks the ecco's can handle).

Anyway hopefully tomorow it is off the the store to measure some tanks so I can get started on building the stand for whatever we choose. :D :D :D :D

Oh ya, don't use cheep heaters :evil:

I really love the XP3, because you can indeed adjust the flow rate at the spray bar, or you can use it at the power spray nozzle, depending upon which one you decide to install. I really like that feature, because for my 55 gal that is some serious flow! The medial trays are wonderful for maintenance, and the price cannot be beat.

I visited the local BigAl's and they had a pile of Fluvals, Ehimes and Magnums as well a a wall full of spare parts for them.
They only had one filstar a xp2 in stock and no parts.
The lack of availability kind of worries me. I'l try to get to a different BigAl's location and see what they have in stock.

(BigAls is about the only aquarium store around here(ontario) unless you want to go to a petsmart of petco :evil: , for some reason or other all the good local petshops seem to have closed. :cry: )

Heh, yes I took a look at BigAL's online and they want 209$cdn for the xp3. :D

I also took a wander through a petsmart today and it looks like they have the entire line of Rena products and parts in-stock. All for only about 25% higher price than BigAl's :lol:

Just an FYI, Big Al's ships out of New York state for all US orders. This is good for a lot of people who live on the east coast but it seems like everything comes from California and takes up to 10 days to receive. My filters are not here yet, but I hope they show up tomorrow (Thursday).

Here are the flow specs and tank size info for the ECCOs:

Model #/Tank size/gallons per hour

2231 up to 35 gallons 127
2233 up to 60 gallons 145
2235 up to 80 gallons 185

Remember these flow rate are with media, and most companies rate w/o media in the filter. I ripped the data from drsfostersmith.com.

Hi Grimlock3000,
I grabbed your table and added in info for the other manufacturers.

manufacturers claimed flowrates and recommended tank sizes
Model #/Tank size/gallons per hour

Ehime
ehime ecco series
2231 up to 35 gallons 127
2233 up to 60 gallons 145
2235 up to 80 gallons 185

ehime proII series
2026 up to 100 gal, 250 gph
2028 up to 160 gal, 275 gph
2260 up to 400 gal, 500 gph

Hagan
Fluval 104, up to 25 gal, 125 gph
Fluval 204, up to 40 gal, 180 gph
Fluval 304, up to 70 gal, 260 gph
Fluval 404, up to 100 gal, 340 gph

Marineland
Magnum 220, up to 40 gal, 220 gph
Magnum 350, up to ? gal, 350 gph

Penn Plax
Cascade 700, up to 65 gal, 185 gph
Cascade 1000, up to 100 gal, 265 gph
Cascade 1200, up to ? gal, 315 gph
Cascade 1500, up to ? gal, 350 gph

Rena
XP1, up to 55 gal, 250 gph
XP2, up to 75 gal, 300 gph
XP3, up to 175 gal, 350 gph

Got the ECCO setup yesterday... I hate getting stuff that feels cheap, and this filter does not fall into that category. While being very simple, everything was solid and fit together extremely well. I loaded up the media baskets, and put the cover on, then connected the hoses in about 10 minutes start to finish. I zip tied all of the hose connections to make sure nothing funky happened. The outlet tube comes with no good way to attach it to the inside of your tank. You are supposed to suction cup the outlet tube to the back of the tank, but suction cups do not stick to background paper too good :p I zip tied the outlet tube to the power cord for my heater, so if the outlet tubes decides to fall out and spill water all over the floor, it is going to have a hard time doing it.

The self priming on the filter is amazing! The directions made it seem too easy, but I went ahead and move the handle down slowly as directed once everything was hooked up. Within seconds, water was flowing down into the canister, and air was blasting out of the outlet tube (and scaring my fish). It only took about 30 seconds for the canister to fill, then I locked it in place and plugged it in. The filter is almost silent, except for some water moving around in it making noise. Probably just a bit of air inside the filter, but nothing I am going to worry about for now. No new air is getting into the system, and that is what I am mostly worried about after dealing with my HOT Magnum.

Overall, I would buy another one of these filters with no hesitation.

Back
Top Bottom