Best Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

InxayonFinland

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey Guys

What would be the best, quietest filter for a fish only freshwater tank? I heard that the Whisper 30 would be great but I would like your guys opinion on this. Thanks!

depends on what you want and what you want to spend. If you only want a HOB filter then i would get an Aquaclear. If you want something in terms of a canister filter then i would look into one made by Ehiem. If you want a canister filter that is a little less expensive then go with a Rena Filstar.

the 3 canisters I've used: all very easy to setup...minimal plumbing of hoses and valves.

However, expect to spend $50 for even the smallest canister.

If you wanna stick to HOB's, skip the Whisper and get an AquaClear30.

I would also recommend the aquaclear filter. Different types of media can be bought for the filter to help you with different things going on in your tank an certain points.

canisters are VERY easy to setup ... almost fool proof.

Don't go with whisper ... i hear they are not worth the plastic that they are made with.

How big is your tank? What kind of fish do you plan to keep?
For small community fish in anything less that a 29 gal, I'd recommend Aquaclear or Penguin/Emperor HOBs. If you plan to keep messy cichlids or goldfish, or have a 29 gal or larger, I'd recommend a cannister filter.

Lonewolfblue said:
Fluval, Eheim, or Rena Filstar XP's.
I don't think you can go wrong with any of these cannister filters.
The Fluval and Filstar are about the same price, but expect to pay about 50% more for the Eheim's German engineering.

Cannister installation is pretty easy - it's really just a matter of setting up the hoses. Most cannisters have an auto-prime feature that starts the siphon for you, and leafproof quick-disconnect valves. Maintenance is not required nearly as often with cannisters - one of their biggest advantages, IMO.

Regardless of filter type, I prefer to get a filter rated for the next size up - not so much for the increased output, but for the extra media basket volume.

I got a Fluval 204 for my 20 gallon and a Rena Filstar XP1 for my 29 gallon and I really like both of them. However, I found that the Fluval was MUCH more difficult to set up initially than the Rena. Apparently I am not as gifted with filters as either Lunchbox or QTOFFER! :lol: Once they are set up both are easy to maintain, but the directions for the Fluval really suck IMO. I didn't even have close to enough money to try an Eheim, but I've heard great things about them.

If you have the cash, i highly recommend Ehiem filters. Comparing an ehiem to a fluval is like comparing a Ford (*cough* Found On Road Dead *cough*) to a BMW. Looks similar on the outside, they are both the same items and do the same purpose, but one outperforms the other.

Back
Top Bottom