Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-03-2005, 07:30 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist
Major confusion here. A protein skimmer and an under gravel filter are two completly different components. The protein skimmer is also called a foam fractioner. It is a long cylindrical tube, usually clear, air runs up the inside of it and strips the water of waste before it has the chance to break down into ammonia, nitrite and then finally nitrate. It is usually powered by a power head and air in some way shape or form.

75 Gal FOWLR est. 6-01
Wet Dry w/Amiracle Skimmer
[Bio Balls/1lbs. slow drip Carbon]
9 Watt UV Ster.
100lbs. Live Rock (Fiji,Tonga Br)
125lbs. Aragonite Base
Maculosus Angel~Yellow Tang~Flame Hawk~Canary Blenny~Pajama Cardinal~Bl Yel Tl Damsel~Brittle Star

10 Gallon Sea Clear Acrylic est. 7-05
Whisper HOB w/carbon+ 1 rio 400 PH
65 watt 12K PC
DSB + 6lbs. Fiji LR/2lbs. Base R
5 Bl Leg Hermits/ 5 Astrea Snails
1 Serpeant Star/ 1 Whte Burr Star
Leather Coral
Orange+Green Zoos
Growth of Halimeda
SALTYDAWGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 08:24 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
UG filters trap waste over time and if your using a sand bed I dont even think you can use a UG filter. The sand will fall right through the filter and plug it.
Live rock at least 1 pound per gal. Live sand or a good play sand that is safe for aquariums.
Do a google search on skimmers and you will see what were talking about.
Or superskimmer.com has some nice units.. I run the reef devil on both my tanks.
Did you mention what size tank?
Power heads can be used for added flow in a tank.
You also need to think about lighting and what animals you want to keep. There is a lot of work that goes inot setting up a SW tank, its not like a FW tank that can be set up in a few hours.
Keep doing you research and you will be fine..

9/02-125 REEF, 125 lbs LR,LS 4x160 VHO, Reef Devil /Sump, Fuge
7/03-55 FOWLR 60lb LR, 50 lb SD sand 2x40 NO strip light, Reef Devil/sump, Fuge

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 02:57 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
You could use a UGF but with reverse flow.........keeps the junk from the bottom suspended so other filtration(canister or power filter) can take it out of the water column.
Don424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 07:42 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
Welcome to saltwater. You will find if you ask 12 people a question about saltwater, you will get at least 15 opinions. And normally they will contradict each other to some degree. You will find there are many ways to sucessfully navigate saltwater keeping. The most important thing to keep in mind is consistancy. If you keep your water parameters in check you will be ok no matter what type of filtration you use. Each type of filter has it's pros and cons. Keep your eyes open and feel free to ask questions here and you will save some grief in the long run...
Mike Jones
32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 10:15 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak
that said.. the easiest and more interesting way, I feel...(and this is just another opinion) is the lr, ls way... 8) I see something new come from my lr everyday and night..
Oceanicsublimat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 03:57 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist
I think you have some serious research to do before you dive into the saltwater hobby. You didn't even know what a protein skimmer was and that is a basic piece of equipment for a marine tank. Study up before you make any purchases don't just start a marine tank without knowing at least the basics.

skennelly is offline   Reply With Quote

filter, substrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com