Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-01-2011, 01:45 PM   #1
5x5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Best Filter for 150 Gallon

I'm looking at filter options for a 150 Gallon tank. This tank will have large messy cichlids, so good filtration is a must.

I have a drilled Eshopps Wet/Dry in my 65 Gallon and I've been very happy with it. Should I just do the same for the 150, or are their better options in your opinion?

Money is not an issue for the most part, just want the best option for my setup.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have a 125g cichlid tank and am running a Fluval FX5, paid about $234 for it. if i was in your shoes I would get 2. I find the maintainence really easy with them.

i also have a sump setup on another 125g and while I like it, it seems like alot more work for me.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:55 PM   #3
5x5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Carey - Thanks for the suggestion. Someone mentioned the Fluval FX5 filter before as "really good", but I hadn't looked into it because it was a canister filter. I was always under the impression that the wet/dry filters were better than canister. Is that not really true?

You mentioned getting 2? Is that one for both of my tanks or 2 for the actual 150 Gallon?

I've only had my wet/dry for 2 months, but the only maintenance so far is replacing the mechanical filter strip, which is pretty painless. Is there more to it down the road?
Old 07-01-2011, 02:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have the sump on my Sw 125g so it just may be that I have more maintenance. LOL I have filter socks and they need to be changed out every few days as well as the skimmer and salt creep of course.

The FX5 is an awesome filter in my opinion, it keeps my water clear but it is a bit large. At least to me it is, comes up to my knees almost. LOL But I can change out my media every month in like 20 min. I was thinking two for redundacy, just in case and for the extra filtration.

I'm guessing either option, canister or wet/dry will cost approximately the same. I'm not sure how bio balls work with a FW tank though, I know in SW they can cause ungodly amounts of nitrates after a time.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:10 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x5 View Post
Carey - Thanks for the suggestion. Someone mentioned the Fluval FX5 filter before as "really good", but I hadn't looked into it because it was a canister filter. I was always under the impression that the wet/dry filters were better than canister. Is that not really true?

You mentioned getting 2? Is that one for both of my tanks or 2 for the actual 150 Gallon?

I've only had my wet/dry for 2 months, but the only maintenance so far is replacing the mechanical filter strip, which is pretty painless. Is there more to it down the road?
I agree the FX5 would be a good option to look into. I have 5 HOB filters and one Fluval 305 canister and the 305 is much easier to maintain, not to mention that the total surface area (4 sponges, 6 tray compartments) in it does a much better job of keeping my GSP tank clean as a whistle.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:18 PM   #6
5x5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

If I do two FX5, do I just run them in serial? I assume the unit couldn't "fail" where water would stop flowing? I guess i'd be up to a $500 filter at that point!!! Haha

It sounds like most of your sump work is due to your tank being SW. As for the bioballs, I know people that use wet/drys for SW typically take them out because of nitrate/phosphate build-up problems. I don't anticipate it being a problem in my FW setup, but if it is, I'll remove them and rely on the substrate as the bio filter.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:16 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

All three of my large tanks run a AquaPro wet/dry sumps and a Fluval FX5, the sumps are filled with bioballs and the Fluval is stuffed with Biomax. The sumps are great for all the normal filtration reasons but my favorite part is no junk in the display tank. I vote for a reef ready 150 with dual overflows, sump, and the FX5.

HUKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:24 PM   #8
5x5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Hukit. I never even considered running both, I thought it was an either/or proposition. I love my sump setup for all the reasons you mentined.

What would be the advantage of also including an FX5 in my setup? What order would you route the water? From the intake to the FX5 and then the sump, or the other way around?
Old 07-01-2011, 04:30 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

The sump provides superior biological filtration over the Fluval, but the canister adds better mechanical filtration than my sumps...best of both worlds.

HUKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:32 PM   #10
5x5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Makes sense. I do think the mechanical filter for my sump is rather lousy. I get a lot of water overflow on the side after the pad clogs up in a day or so.

Based on you response, I assume you run the Fluval before the sump. Otherwise you'd get debris in your sump.

Tags
150 gallon, 50 gallon, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com