Best Filter for 150 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

5x5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm looking at filter options for a 150 Gallon tank. This tank will have large messy cichlids, so good filtration is a must.

I have a drilled Eshopps Wet/Dry in my 65 Gallon and I've been very happy with it. Should I just do the same for the 150, or are their better options in your opinion?

Money is not an issue for the most part, just want the best option for my setup.

I have a 125g cichlid tank and am running a Fluval FX5, paid about $234 for it. if i was in your shoes I would get 2. :) I find the maintainence really easy with them.

i also have a sump setup on another 125g and while I like it, it seems like alot more work for me.

Carey - Thanks for the suggestion. Someone mentioned the Fluval FX5 filter before as "really good", but I hadn't looked into it because it was a canister filter. I was always under the impression that the wet/dry filters were better than canister. Is that not really true?

You mentioned getting 2? Is that one for both of my tanks or 2 for the actual 150 Gallon?

I've only had my wet/dry for 2 months, but the only maintenance so far is replacing the mechanical filter strip, which is pretty painless. Is there more to it down the road?

I have the sump on my Sw 125g so it just may be that I have more maintenance. LOL I have filter socks and they need to be changed out every few days as well as the skimmer and salt creep of course.

The FX5 is an awesome filter in my opinion, it keeps my water clear but it is a bit large. At least to me it is, comes up to my knees almost. LOL But I can change out my media every month in like 20 min. I was thinking two for redundacy, just in case and for the extra filtration.

I'm guessing either option, canister or wet/dry will cost approximately the same. I'm not sure how bio balls work with a FW tank though, I know in SW they can cause ungodly amounts of nitrates after a time.

Carey - Thanks for the suggestion. Someone mentioned the Fluval FX5 filter before as "really good", but I hadn't looked into it because it was a canister filter. I was always under the impression that the wet/dry filters were better than canister. Is that not really true?

You mentioned getting 2? Is that one for both of my tanks or 2 for the actual 150 Gallon?

I've only had my wet/dry for 2 months, but the only maintenance so far is replacing the mechanical filter strip, which is pretty painless. Is there more to it down the road?

I agree the FX5 would be a good option to look into. I have 5 HOB filters and one Fluval 305 canister and the 305 is much easier to maintain, not to mention that the total surface area (4 sponges, 6 tray compartments) in it does a much better job of keeping my GSP tank clean as a whistle.

If I do two FX5, do I just run them in serial? I assume the unit couldn't "fail" where water would stop flowing? I guess i'd be up to a $500 filter at that point!!! Haha

It sounds like most of your sump work is due to your tank being SW. As for the bioballs, I know people that use wet/drys for SW typically take them out because of nitrate/phosphate build-up problems. I don't anticipate it being a problem in my FW setup, but if it is, I'll remove them and rely on the substrate as the bio filter.

All three of my large tanks run a AquaPro wet/dry sumps and a Fluval FX5, the sumps are filled with bioballs and the Fluval is stuffed with Biomax. The sumps are great for all the normal filtration reasons but my favorite part is no junk in the display tank. I vote for a reef ready 150 with dual overflows, sump, and the FX5.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5x5
Hukit. I never even considered running both, I thought it was an either/or proposition. I love my sump setup for all the reasons you mentined.

What would be the advantage of also including an FX5 in my setup? What order would you route the water? From the intake to the FX5 and then the sump, or the other way around?

The sump provides superior biological filtration over the Fluval, but the canister adds better mechanical filtration than my sumps...best of both worlds.

Makes sense. I do think the mechanical filter for my sump is rather lousy. I get a lot of water overflow on the side after the pad clogs up in a day or so.

Based on you response, I assume you run the Fluval before the sump. Otherwise you'd get debris in your sump.

You know what, I agree 100%. I think the sump benefits would rock and the fluval is the icing on the cake.

Isn't it great when it all falls together? lol can't wait to see this build and the fish that go in it. Tank should be the shiz.

You said no junk in your display tank. Where do you put your heater? That is the only thing I have in plain site. I tried to put it behind the overflow insert, but it seemed tight and hard to access if I wanted to make any temperature changes.

Carey - Yeah, I agree. Why debate when you can just do both! I think this is my spring 2012 project. Extremely excited to get started, just need to decide on everything else now.

South American Cichlids.

Hukit's been a huge help in helping me pick out my fish in another thread in the cichlid section. Right now, I'm looking at an Oscar, BN Pleco, Clown Loaches and a few more mid-sized cichlids like Firemouth or Convict. I'm starting to look into some of his other suggestions too now.

Nice. In the 80"s I used to keep SA. Loved those oscars. Too bad Ididn't know then what I know now. i had 3 in a 55g!! LOL But they never fought so maybe I was just lucky.

I love the clown loaches, I searched hi and low for a pair for my 125g african tank, but couldnt find any large enough. Had to go with blueberry loaches instead. oh well.

Good luck on your build!

You said no junk in your display tank. Where do you put your heater? That is the only thing I have in plain site. I tried to put it behind the overflow insert, but it seemed tight and hard to access if I wanted to make any temperature changes.

I have a Eheim Jäger heater in each overflow, they're to large to put in the sump.

I have the same heater. I had the same problem with them fitting in my sump, only about 10% was submerged. Maybe this weekend I'll try putting it in the overflow again. Sure would be nice to get it out of sight.

Back
Top Bottom