Best filter for 65 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freshsv65

Aquarium Advice Newbie
IMG_0174.jpg

My gf got me this 65 gal for xmas and I am needing a bit of help finding a good filter. I will be upgrading to this tank so I currently have platty, albino Cory, and another fish I am currently trying to properly ID, I would like to add more Cory Dora and maybe a school of small tetra. I would also like to make it a planted tank, I currently have a power filter that is super strong for my fish so I had to mess with it a bit to make sure it wasn't shooting my fish around the tank, so I would like to stay away from a power filter if possible and I would like one that can be submerged so I was looking into sponge filters, they seem to be more gentle lol. I don't know/understand a lot about filters, please help!

First, welcome to the forum! :welcome: Second, that girlfriend is a keeper. :flowers:

As for filters, it sounds like you had one that was too large for the prior tank. You have a lot of choice for the 65. Personally, I don't like sponge filters for display tanks (as opposed to fishroom tanks) just for aesthetic reasons, but they do a great job with biological filtration.

I prefer having two filters on a tank so there is back up in case one has a problem. For your tank, two Aquaclear 70s (AC 70) would be fine, but I might also consider a single AC 70 and a canister filter: from the photo, this looks like a deeper tank, so you could place the intake for the canister closer to the bottom. (AC's have relatively short intake tubes.)

Regardless, you have a lot of choices. My only other bit of advice would be to read a lot of reviews online and pick a filter rated for a tank one or two sizes above the one you have: the flow rates on the boxes tend to be... "generous."

Good luck and enjoy! :dance:

Thank you! And she really is! Thank you for your help I've been so lost because one of my main concerns was that it is so deep, when looking for a canister filter what would be the best one to look at? The sizes on those confuse me a bit

Thank you! And she really is! Thank you for your help I've been so lost because one of my main concerns was that it is so deep, when looking for a canister filter what would be the best one to look at? The sizes on those confuse me a bit

Again, you have a lot of choices. A lot of people like SunSuns. They're inexpensive, but some have noted they feel flimsy. Marineland and Fluval are well-regarded: I'm putting a Marineland Magniflow 220 on a 40-gallon tank -- it's rated for up to 55 gallons. (Remember what I said about going one size above your tank)

Eheims are a longtime workhorse in the hobby. To be honest, I think you'd do well with any of these.

fre...

You can buy high end filters and most will do an adequate job. They're pricey and most aren't worth the money. I'd say, go with a couple of dual sponge filters. You can get two duals shipped for under $25.00 and they'll do the same thing the expensive ones do. They take in polluted tank water and return the water to the tank a little less polluted. I use a couple on all my 55 and 60 gallon tanks. I also syphon out and replace a lot tank water every week. So, the filters are really just filtering tank water that's already clean.

B

I have that exact same PetSmart tank. I use two SunSun 302s and a large in-tank UV filter. There isn't much room between the back glass lid for HOB filters unless you pull the glass forward over the lip. I didn't like that so I got rid of my HOB filter and used the SunSuns.

I use a fluval 306 and an AC 70 on my 55 chuck full of cichlids and it does a good job. But honestly make sure you have good bio media. It's the best investment you can make for your tank. I personally recommend any of the biohome media (you have to go online to get it just google biohome media and it'll come up) but many of the other ceramic or rock like media are very good. A filter is only as good as the media you put into it.

Back
Top Bottom