Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-24-2004, 07:09 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
That filter simply isn't built for continuous operation. BTW, it is quite expensive 8O , so take care of it. It operates with diatomacious powder. The powder adheres to the micron filter and you need to be sure all of it is attached (that's why the glass jar), before you place the tubes in your tank. Otherwise you'll have a tank full of the powder.

It filters out particulate matter down to 1 micron and makes your water crystal clear. Because of this, that micron filter becomes clogged easily and you can burn out the motor. To give you some idea, I'll run mine for about 1 hour a week on my 125 gallon tanks. It's a very useful tool for the serious aquarist. OH....make sure you've oiled the motor before using (especially if it's been sitting for a while), and keep the rubber O ring well lubricated. Good Luck

BrianNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 10:12 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus
Wow - I'm jealous - I still have not broken down and gotten myself a diatom.

These are not everyday mechanical filters at all, as Brian has pointed out, so it is a luxury item (at least to me ) and not really useful if you don't have a filter that you are running constantly otherwise. Hold onto it, though, it will prove itself very worthwhile over time.

TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 03:59 AM   #13
Wow I feel lucky for the first time in my life.............sort of.

90 gallon, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com