Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-21-2004, 08:59 PM   #1

BEST FILTER for 90 gallon?

Hi, can you guys tell me what type of filter is best for a 90 gallon? & state it's price. Thanks.

I found a really old looking filter....it looks like a big jar with a motor on top...I ve never seen anything like it.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:42 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

That would be a canister filter and I highly recommend them for larger tanks. They are more expensive than HOB, but you clean them less often and you can put in any media you want. I have no idea what they cost in the US. You would need a large one. Others will chime in soon, I'm sure.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 02:30 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Hmm, a big jar with a motor on top sounds like an older Eheim model - those are wonderful filters. Go to bigalsonline.com and check out the larger filters, Eheim Professional II if you can afford it, or a Rena Filstar XP3 plus maybe a large HOB by AquaClear or Emperor to work in conjunction with the canister.

It will also depend on what kind of fish you will be keeping. If we are talking oscars, you will want to overfiltrate, rather than get what is rated for a 90gal. You might also want to look into Ocean Clear filters - I do not have experience with them but have heard many good things about them. You can get one one for a 90gal, I'm just not sure which model.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 04:57 AM   #4

Thanks for the advice. I will try to use the antique filter I found, the motor still runs....even though I really don't like using old stuff lol.
Old 09-24-2004, 09:10 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

What are the identifying markings on that filter? Depending on how old it is, there are people who collect "classic" and antique aquarium equipment - maybe you could sell it on ebay or aquabid.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 12:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

An old jar with a motor on top sounds more like a diatom filter to me. Is the micron filter pad still attached to the lid?

A diatom filter is a great tool but should only be run for brief periods of time. If this is what you have, you'll need to buy a 24/7 filter.
Old 09-24-2004, 03:43 PM   #7

It is a Diatom. I just read the label lol...on the motor it reads "Vortex Innerspace Products" & "Model NO. D - 1 Diatom". How old could this filter be?
Old 09-24-2004, 05:21 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't know how old it is but looks like it isn't too out of date. Enjoy!

http://www.diatomfilter.com/products..._d1_filter.htm

Old 09-24-2004, 07:36 PM   #9

Thanks for the link. The filter pad is still very much attached but I think I am going to need a new one anyways.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:48 PM   #10

Also why should it be run for only brief periods? The only reason I could find is so the fish don't get tired of constantly having to swim against the current.

Tags
90 gallon, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com