BEST FILTER for 90 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Hi, can you guys tell me what type of filter is best for a 90 gallon? & state it's price. Thanks.

I found a really old looking filter....it looks like a big jar with a motor on top...I ve never seen anything like it.

That would be a canister filter and I highly recommend them for larger tanks. They are more expensive than HOB, but you clean them less often and you can put in any media you want. I have no idea what they cost in the US. You would need a large one. Others will chime in soon, I'm sure.

Hmm, a big jar with a motor on top sounds like an older Eheim model - those are wonderful filters. Go to bigalsonline.com and check out the larger filters, Eheim Professional II if you can afford it, or a Rena Filstar XP3 plus maybe a large HOB by AquaClear or Emperor to work in conjunction with the canister.

It will also depend on what kind of fish you will be keeping. If we are talking oscars, you will want to overfiltrate, rather than get what is rated for a 90gal. You might also want to look into Ocean Clear filters - I do not have experience with them but have heard many good things about them. You can get one one for a 90gal, I'm just not sure which model.

Thanks for the advice. I will try to use the antique filter I found, the motor still runs....even though I really don't like using old stuff lol.

What are the identifying markings on that filter? Depending on how old it is, there are people who collect "classic" and antique aquarium equipment - maybe you could sell it on ebay or aquabid.

An old jar with a motor on top sounds more like a diatom filter to me. Is the micron filter pad still attached to the lid?

A diatom filter is a great tool but should only be run for brief periods of time. If this is what you have, you'll need to buy a 24/7 filter.

It is a Diatom. I just read the label lol...on the motor it reads "Vortex Innerspace Products" & "Model NO. D - 1 Diatom". How old could this filter be?

Thanks for the link. The filter pad is still very much attached but I think I am going to need a new one anyways.

Also why should it be run for only brief periods? The only reason I could find is so the fish don't get tired of constantly having to swim against the current.

That filter simply isn't built for continuous operation. BTW, it is quite expensive 8O , so take care of it. It operates with diatomacious powder. The powder adheres to the micron filter and you need to be sure all of it is attached (that's why the glass jar), before you place the tubes in your tank. Otherwise you'll have a tank full of the powder.

It filters out particulate matter down to 1 micron and makes your water crystal clear. Because of this, that micron filter becomes clogged easily and you can burn out the motor. To give you some idea, I'll run mine for about 1 hour a week on my 125 gallon tanks. It's a very useful tool for the serious aquarist. OH....make sure you've oiled the motor before using (especially if it's been sitting for a while), and keep the rubber O ring well lubricated. Good Luck

Wow - I'm jealous - I still have not broken down and gotten myself a diatom.

These are not everyday mechanical filters at all, as Brian has pointed out, so it is a luxury item (at least to me :wink:) and not really useful if you don't have a filter that you are running constantly otherwise. Hold onto it, though, it will prove itself very worthwhile over time.

Wow I feel lucky for the first time in my life.............sort of.

Back
Top Bottom