Best Filter for a 20 gallon long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vic Vega

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

Just purchased a 22 long (36 x 12 x 12). It will be housing a single betta and possibly some shrimp. It will be planted with driftwood (also cycled and heated).

With its unique shape, I'm looking for filter recommendations.

Since it's a betta, I don't want strong flow, but want to ensure coverage. I don't want a HOB for aesthetic reasons.

Thinking 2 corner sponge filters (powered by a split air pump), or if I went crazy, perhaps a small canister filter turned on low.

Taking into account its a single betta, would 2 corner sponge filters be sufficient for bio filtration?

Hi Vic Vega:

Two sponge filters would be fine for a single betta. You could also use one sponge filter and one corner/box filter, which would allow you to run chemical media like carbon if you ever needed to do so.

Sponges for sure

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks guys. Almost sold on the idea of a small EHEIM canister or Fluval 106 for the sake of having a clean look.

Think that's too much water movement even on low? I'm a big believer in overkill on filtering (used to have a 405 on a 40 gallon), but don't want the betta in a wind tunnel.

I'm running a SunSun 302 on my 20 long planted tank. Used to have an AC50 but wanted a canister for mostly because it's out of the way and so that I can add an inline CO2 reactor. GPH (I believe measured with no media) is 265.
Edit: just read that you have a beta in there. This might be too much flow.

I bought the EHEIM 2232 (for up to 35 gallons) to have on hand. I'll install it and see what the flow looks like. If it's whipping around I'll go with the sponge filter idea.

I totally get it's overkill for a single betta in a 22 gallon, but hey, go big or go home, right? :)

I'll get the tank planted and cycled before buying the betta, so will be plenty of time for experimentation.

Will likely buy the Angels Plus active sponge filters and stuff them into the canister media to seed the tank.

The 2232 sounds like a nice filter. Flow rate should be fine.
It's been over a month since setup and I have still not moved my fish in. Been concentrating on getting the plants established first and experimenting with flow direction. I have a low bio load so I'm not too concerned with cycling. Plus, I can move some established media to the new filter.

Vic...

Research sponge filters. They're inexpensive, easy to clean, no media to buy and provide efficient filtration without a strong current. You can go with a single or dual setup. Cost isn't more than $10.00 and that includes shipping. Along with any filter system, you have to remove and replace most of the tank water weekly.

B

Back
Top Bottom