Best filter for Me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

happyhillbilly

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55 gal fw community tank. I (currently) have ~10 guppies, a pleco, a platy, and a clown loach (going to get another one). I am definatley going to get more fish, sell some of the guppies. So i probably will have around 20 fish total. What is the absolouste best filter for under $60. I have a sponge filter currently, and I'm going to get the new filter ASAP. So please help me pick out a good one!

I have a 304 on my tank, which I love for everything except the periodic maintenance. Maybe I'm just bitter because I just had to do it yesterday. Anyway, because of the UV, I have to go with a canister filter. If I didn't have the UV I would probably go with a good HOB.

If only the fluval was under $60. I want a canister, but they're too expensive for me.

Blazeherd2306 said:
If only the fluval was under $60. I want a canister, but they're too expensive for me.

Since price is an issue look around online for Jebo canisters, they are good quality at dirt cheap prices.

Blazeherd2306 said:

BTW my 304 was $70 at Big Als, so its close.

Fishyfanatic said:
Hoovercat highlighted a great filter. They are cheap in price but great in quality.

Is Pen Plex making quality products now.. used to be I wouldnt buy anything made by them.. They were severely lacking in that department..

I would also go with the emperor, and second I would recommend the aqua clear. it is the only HOB that I can think of with customizable filtration.

Wowa! Thanks for the replies. So most people are saying a HOB. So I'm going with a HOB. Then people are saying Emperors and Aquaclears. So which one? I had an aquaclear on my 10 gal before, it was nice. Any good comparisons with the two?

The Aquaclear lets you have the flexability of any media you want, it has the basket.. The Emperor is a good filter but it as cartrages you have to buy but it has the bio-wheel.. I like the Aquaclear for its flexability.. I dont like having to buy media cartrages for a filter when I can get bulk media to put in my filter.. cuz Im cheap!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

greenmagi said:
The Aquaclear lets you have the flexability of any media you want, it has the basket.. The Emperor is a good filter but it as cartrages you have to buy but it has the bio-wheel.. I like the Aquaclear for its flexability.. I dont like having to buy media cartrages for a filter when I can get bulk media to put in my filter.. cuz Im cheap!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I second the Aquaclear.

Back
Top Bottom