Best Filter for new 55g ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karmachica

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently purchased a 55g long glass tank for the purpose of upgrading/replacing my current 29g. I'm taking my time setting up the new 55g so I get it the right the first time and have it setup w/ the correct equipment.

My current 29g:
Sand substrate (and I want to stay w/ sand)
Aqua-Tech hob power filter 20-40
Air stone bubbler
artificial plants/decor
Stock ( 3 peacock cichlids)

What are some suggestions for the filter in the new 55g in terms of brand and/or types?
My bf wants an under gravel filter or a sump? I'm assuming an under gravel doesn't work if I want to keep sand right? Lol

Any suggestions/advice/feedback would be awesome :)

I'm adding an Aqueon 20 to my Aqueon Bowfront 36g in addition to the Aqueon 30 already running.

I would have preferred another 30 to come closer to doubling the filtration but the 20 was an open box deal.

Basic recommendation is x 2 the gallons = filter size. So whatever can handle 110g on your tank. Canister or multiple HOB.

Get a fluval 306, they are currently on sale at petco.com and are great! Mine is super quiet and is good for up to 70 gallons giving you ample filtration. Chilclids are messy fish and I Belive that a canister would be your best option.

Rena filstar xp3. I have one now and they are only $114 on thatpetplace.com cheaper than fluvals, big media baskets, and rated for 175 gallons.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far :)

I had read from a lot of forums here about Rena xp3 and Fluval filters - my concern is when doing my own web researching on them, I read a lot if reviews saying the parts are always breaking and there were tons of reviews saying they had big leaking issues- like 20g of water 'leaking' ... Yikes!

Have any of you experienced those issues?

I don't have experience w/ canister filters but I've been reading lots of great benefits of them vs a hob. I just don't know if it would be too complicated for me- might sound silly but I don't get what part goes in your tank or what all you need to set it up- I guess I need to do more research on them.

I was also looking at the Emperor 404 or the Penguin, it seemed like an easy setup but the dimensions on them seemed huge.

I guess I'm a visual learner so might have to go to a store so I can actually see what these really look like and how they would work for me. I don't have a hood for my new 55g yet so I'd like to decide on filtration first before I get a hood that might limit where I can put something - is that logical? Lol

Hello Karm...

A couple of Hagen AquaClear 50s positioned at opposite ends of the tank and a couple 150 water heaters next to those, should be ample for your 55 G. Add to these, a large water change every week or two and your fish and plants will be fine.

Pass on the under gravel filter. They're "old technology" and don't work as well as most other filters. Especially, if you want a planted tank and go with a very fine substrate.

B

Hey BBradbury,
So I checked out the Hagen Aquaclean 50 and from what I read about it, I really liked it! I like that it has a natural & silent waterfall, it sounds like the assembly is easy, it's energy efficient, performance reviews were consistent and it's affordable- sounds too good to be true but I hope not lol :)

I do have a question for you though, regarding what you suggested with placing a heater next to both filters - one on both sides of the tank-

•Currently on my 29g I have one Tetra 10-30 (its 100w) submersible heater that has an electronic thermostat that automatically maintains the water temp at 78degrees.
•I also have a 20g that runs the same model heater. Neither of these tanks will be running once I get my 55g setup and running properly.

My question is, do I need to run 2 heaters in the 55g? Would using both of the above heaters work for it? Or would it not be enough and I'd have to get 2 heaters at 150w- and should my heaters be automatic like I'm used to or are the manual heaters more appropriate for my 55g?

I know my thread is about filters but since you mentioned the heaters and I have a question about your reply, I still feel like this is staying on my topic.

Hello again Karm...

For even heating, two heaters on opposite sides of the tank work well. I've always figured about 5 watts of heater for every gallon of tank volume. This way, a small heater isn't constantly running in an attempt to keep the water warm. I keep my tanks at between 76-78 degrees and use two 150 watt heaters. The temp in the water is pretty constant.

Two 100 watt heaters would work pretty hard and will need to stay on most of the time to keep 55 gallons of water warm enough for your fish and plants.

You could get another 100 watt heater and run three. I do this on one of my tanks. This would save you a bit and you could use your other heaters. The point being, you need a minimum of 275 watts of heating to properly heat the 55 G tank, especially during the winter months when the house temperature is generally lower.

Thanks BB,

I'll buy 2 new ones that are 150w each instead of trying to use the other ones. I find that trying to save money on these things only makes things more complicated in the end so I will take your advice with 2 heaters 150w each. Thanks for your help :)

And thanks to everyone that replied to this thread. I appreciate all of the feedback :)

2 heaters are better for redundancy if one breaks, also having control over temp is nice but personally I wouldn't worry about perfectly even heating in the tank as I believe that having a slight variation in temps in the water allows your fish to find where they are most comfortable. I have 1 300 watt in my 125 and its placed down one end of the tank and is set at about 80, the water on the opposite ranges from 76-80 depending on when the heater last kicked on. I do think that it's a good idea to keep water flowing past the heater so I have my FX5 return pointed at the heater.

Back
Top Bottom